How likely is it your job will be automated?

• Thread starter Ryan_m_b
  • Start date
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Oxford University academics Michael Osborne and Carl Frey calculated how susceptible to automation each job is based on nine key skills required to perform it; social perceptiveness, negotiation, persuasion, assisting and caring for others, originality, fine arts, finger dexterity, manual dexterity and the need to work in a cramped work space.
The list is up on the BBC here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941 Input your job (or just browse the others) to find out the automation risk according to the study.

It might not be gospel but I find modern automation very interesting, it's remarkable how many jobs can be displaced by a small number of technologies. Looks like I'm relatively safe: 8% for biologists.

Answers and Replies

I was also 8%. I don't think engineers like me will be replaced any time soon, someone has to write and maintain the automation of everyone else's job.

berkeman
Mentor
Paramedic was 5% :smile:

RJLiberator
Gold Member
Yup, noticed this. An important trend for the future.

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
What make a physical scientist (physicist and should include chemist) more susceptible (20%) to automation compared to a chemist (6%)

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm safe, I think...
Cheating! You're already a robot.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think the answer would depend on the status of A.I at any given moment.

Likes Monsterboy
Cheating! You're already a robot.
But I have a heart and...

We're off to see the Wizard the Wonderful Wizard of Oz... We hear he is a wiz of wiz if ever a wiz there was...

Likes Ryan_m_b and WWGD
I work as a programmer, so very low risk. More likely that I'll be the one working on automating such tasks :biggrin:

Think i need a change of career. 75% however when i looked at the average wage of my job it was a little under on there so that me a lil happier (glazing fabricator)

Curious3141
Homework Helper
I work as a programmer, so very low risk. More likely that I'll be the one working on automating such tasks :biggrin:
Until the singularity occurs. :biggrin:

Likes Tosh5457
My job isn't in the list but it is VERY likely it'll be taken over by robotic automation in the future. Machinery operator in a freezer storage for a large grocery, this can easily be reduced to automation. Luckily this is my part-time job throughout uni. :D

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
What make a physical scientist (physicist and should include chemist) more susceptible (20%) to automation compared to a chemist (6%)
The original study is here: http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf

It's very long, section IV explains the methodology. The quick answer is they take nine categories, rank how important these categories are to an individual job and then use an equation to create a score. The categories are:

- Finger Dexterity
- Manual Dexterity
- Cramped work space/awkward positions
- Originality
- Fine arts
- Social perceptiveness
- Negotiation
- Persuasion
- Assisting and caring for others

The more of those your job requires the harder it is to automate.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any raw data showing the stats for each job, just the final score.