Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How likely is it your job will be automated?

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

The list is up on the BBC here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34066941 Input your job (or just browse the others) to find out the automation risk according to the study.

It might not be gospel but I find modern automation very interesting, it's remarkable how many jobs can be displaced by a small number of technologies. Looks like I'm relatively safe: 8% for biologists.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

I'm safe, I think...

4. Sep 17, 2015 #3
    I was also 8%. I don't think engineers like me will be replaced any time soon, someone has to write and maintain the automation of everyone else's job.

5. Sep 17, 2015 #4

berkeman

Paramedic was 5% :smile:

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Yup, noticed this. An important trend for the future.

7. Sep 18, 2015 #6
    What make a physical scientist (physicist and should include chemist) more susceptible (20%) to automation compared to a chemist (6%)

8. Sep 18, 2015 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cheating! You're already a robot.

9. Sep 18, 2015 #8

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the answer would depend on the status of A.I at any given moment.

10. Sep 18, 2015 #9

jedishrfu

But I have a heart and...

We're off to see the Wizard the Wonderful Wizard of Oz... We hear he is a wiz of wiz if ever a wiz there was...

11. Sep 19, 2015 #10
  12. Sep 19, 2015 #11
  13. Sep 19, 2015 #12
    I work as a programmer, so very low risk. More likely that I'll be the one working on automating such tasks :biggrin:

14. Sep 20, 2015 #13
    Think i need a change of career. 75% however when i looked at the average wage of my job it was a little under on there so that me a lil happier (glazing fabricator)

15. Sep 21, 2015 #14

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Until the singularity occurs. :biggrin:

16. Sep 21, 2015 #15
    My job isn't in the list but it is VERY likely it'll be taken over by robotic automation in the future. Machinery operator in a freezer storage for a large grocery, this can easily be reduced to automation. Luckily this is my part-time job throughout uni. :D

17. Sep 21, 2015 #16

Ryan_m_b

The original study is here: http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf

It's very long, section IV explains the methodology. The quick answer is they take nine categories, rank how important these categories are to an individual job and then use an equation to create a score. The categories are:

- Finger Dexterity
    - Manual Dexterity
    - Cramped work space/awkward positions
    - Originality
    - Fine arts
    - Social perceptiveness
    - Negotiation
    - Persuasion
    - Assisting and caring for others

The more of those your job requires the harder it is to automate.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any raw data showing the stats for each job, just the final score.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook