Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long can you hold your breath?

1. less than 1 minute

21.1%
  2. 1 - 2 minutes

31.6%
  3. 2 - 3 minutes

34.2%
  4. 3 - 5 minutes

10.5%
  5. 5 - 8 minutes

2.6%
  6. 8 - 12 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 12 - 17 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 17 - 23 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 23 - 30 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. more than 30 minutes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. May 27, 2008 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No smart-alecky answers please!

NOTE: This can include the time for one exhalation.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

1-2 minutes, tops.

4. May 27, 2008 #3

berkeman

When I'm free diving, I like to get into a rhythm of 1 minute down, 1 minute up. I can keep that rhythm up for an hour or more. Wonderful and peaceful.

I can stay down longer, but then my recovery time is longer on the surface. Plus, I've gotten lightheaded a couple times coming back up after staying down longer, which is a definite reminder to not screw up and stay down too long!

5. May 27, 2008 #4
    "more than 30 minutes" :biggrin: If somebody holds his breath for more than 30 minutes, he is not typing anything on his computer anymore.

I used to be able to hold nearly up to 3 minutes, about 5 years ago when I was actually doing some free-diving in a local diving club. But now its probably the usual 1 minute.... I don't actually want to know how bad I'm at this anymore, I haven't been diving for a long time.

6. May 27, 2008 #5
    I haven't tried to hold my breath since I was 12. But I remember timing myself at about 1 minute 30 seconds.

Makes me wonder how long I could hold my breath with the knowledge I have now of relaxation and meditation techniques...Blaine's record, here I come! :)

7. May 27, 2008 #6
    Thanks Gokul43201!

I am so excited. I have to practice first.

8. May 27, 2008 #7
    At the same age, around 12 or so, I was holding it for 3'35" under water. I was more or less serious with that, I mean, I did not do that stupidely at first attempt. I had been timing myself for a long months (years ?). In the beginning, holding 1'30 was difficult. So it took me several months to learn how to stay calm, to look after my heart beat while trying to minimize my entire body activity.

Now what is funny, is that I was not really doing this for any other purpose than amateur free diving in natural environment. I was among other sports a swimmer, a cross-country skier (winter) and cycler (summer), plus living in altitude also develops lungs naturally. And only years later did I read about people doing that seriously and found out that, the methods I came up with intuitively were used by professionals.

Don't try this at home ! ;-)

edit
    Unfortunately, I have not been practicing for a looooong time, and I guess I cannot exceed 3' now. So I voted 2' to 3'.

9. May 27, 2008 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I see now that I have asked a slightly different question in the OP and in the poll. :frown:

10. May 27, 2008 #9

berkeman

As a fun aside, one of the workout sets we do at the pool is called "under/overs". It's 25m (or yards) underwater, then pop up to do the next 25m butterfly. Do several of those in a row, and your lungs are burning!

11. May 27, 2008 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The longest I can hold my breath comfortably and still function without worrying about it is around 45 seconds or so.

I haven't tried to determine the maximum time I could stay underwater since I was a kid and can't remember the longest I've ever held my breath, so you get an estimate.

12. May 27, 2008 #11
    OK, when I sumbit this post I will start holding my breath, then I will edit the post to reflect the time... if you don't see my edit please call for help!

13. May 27, 2008 #12
    I am about 40 seconds. You guys are crazy with your 2 minutes! A girl once passed out in my brothers year holding her breathe, and that thought has always freaked me out, especially under water!

14. May 27, 2008 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Help!!!!

15. May 27, 2008 #14
    One minute is my maximum.

16. May 27, 2008 #15
    Did you try and hold it for too long? Deep breaths, deep breaths.

17. May 27, 2008 #16
    Oh yeah! I just timed myself (http://www.online-stopwatch.com/) and got 2'18" (and 840 ms).

I bet I could easily get 3 minutes if I practiced a little bit. Just remember to relax your body as much as possible (if you practice meditation it's easy to get completely relaxed with a really low heart rate in a minute or two), breath in as completely and out as completely as you can about 30 times before you actually start, and while you're holding your breath don't move at all.

18. May 27, 2008 #17
    As I was indicating earlier, this is not to be taken as a stupid game, and is seriously dangerous.

Before holding your breath you need to concentrate, saturate your body in oxygen by deep intense breathing for several minutes. And most important of all : be reasonable and do not attempt to go anywhere beyond your capacity.

One should actually not attempt such things without taking a medical exam.

19. May 27, 2008 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, I'm trying to save mattmns.

20. May 27, 2008 #19
    WHEW!

Gokul, thank you for calling for help!

edit... to be honest, I was just embarrassed with my low time: held my breath for about 30 seconds :redface:

21. May 27, 2008 #20

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have to admit that I see little purpose in holding your breath for a prolonged period of time if you can't do anything else but hold your breath. It's probably more important to know how long you can function without air. How many tries you can make at rolling your kayak right side up before you'd better seriously consider bailing out; how long you can look for your lost contact lens on the bottom of a swimming pool; how long you have to unsnap your seatbelt and get out of your car after driving into a lake; how long you have to saw your feet off with a pocket knife after organized crime associates have tossed you into the river with a cement block; things like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?