How Long Does a Plane Have to Escape After Tossing a Bomb Upward?

• Thread starter afg_91320
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a plane releasing a bomb at an angle of 75 degrees above the horizontal. The problem asks for the time the plane has to get away before the bomb explodes, the maximum height of the bomb, and the bomb's speed at detonation. The solution involves using trigonometry to separate the initial speed into horizontal and vertical components, and then using equations for horizontal and vertical motion to solve for the desired values. Additional help can be found in the link provided.
afg_91320
Plane with an exploding bomb--PLEASE HELP ME!

Homework Statement

The early technique for dropping a plane bomb was to not "drop" but to let it go as the plane was climbing at a rapid rate. The idea "toss" it upward at a steep angle therefore giving the plane enough time to turn away before the bomb exploded.
Assume the plane is traveling 600 km/hr and it releases the bomb at an angle of 75 degrees above the horizontal. Assume the plane releases the bomb at an altitude of 4000 m above the ground and the bomb is set to detonate at 5r00 m above the ground. Ignoring air resistance, a) how long does the plan have to get away before the bomb exploding
b) what max height above ground level does the bomb reach? c) what is the bomb's speed as it detonates?

Homework Equations

plane is flying at 600 km/hr ----> 600,000 m /hr
altitude from ground up is 4000m
explodes at 500 m

The Attempt at a Solution

i really don't know what to do this. my book only has two problems similar to this and both involve wind speeds/resistance so i can't make any comparisons.

Please guide me through! i would REALLY appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org

This appears to be a typical baseball problem - you know the initial speed and angle.
The usual routine on these is to make two headings, for horizontal and vertical motion.
You must use trigonometry to separate the initial speed into horiz and vertical parts.
Then under the horizontal heading, use d = vt because there is no acceleration.
Under vertical, use V = Vo + at and d = Vot + .5at^2.
Put your numbers in and hopefully you will be able to find something with one of the three formulas!

how do i recognize what is each variable?
initial velocity is 600km/h?
time we don't know
a=g (9.80)
what is V?

"initial velocity is 600km/h?" must be converted into meters/second.
Then split into horizontal and vertical components using trigonometry.
Sketch an arrow 75 degrees above horizontal. Then draw a horizontal line from the beginning, drop a vertical line from the end to form a triangle. Find the horizontal and vertical sides of the triangle.

ok-i tried as hard as i could but I am still stuck.
can you just show me how to do this? I am ready to give up! :(
(by the way-i have another problem that is verry similar to this one-so if you help me out then i can do the other one as well!)

thanks!

http://hypertextbook.com/physics/mechanics/projectiles/

Check out that link for an introduction to equations of projectiles

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Long Does a Plane Have to Escape After Tossing a Bomb Upward?

What causes a bomb to explode on a plane?

There are several possible causes for a bomb to explode on a plane. It could be due to a malfunction in the bomb itself, sabotage by a passenger or crew member, or an accidental explosion due to mishandling or improper storage.

How common are bomb explosions on planes?

Bomb explosions on planes are extremely rare. According to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), there have been only 118 confirmed bombings on commercial aircraft since 1949, out of billions of flights.

What safety measures are in place to prevent bombs from being brought onto planes?

Airport security measures include baggage screening, passenger screening, and the use of explosive detection systems. In addition, airlines have strict protocols for screening baggage and passengers before boarding.

What should I do if I suspect there is a bomb on my plane?

If you suspect that there is a bomb on your plane, notify a flight attendant or crew member immediately. Do not touch or move the suspected bomb, and follow the instructions given by the crew.

What are the potential consequences of a bomb explosion on a plane?

The consequences of a bomb explosion on a plane can be catastrophic, including loss of life, damage to the aircraft, and disruption of air travel. In addition, the psychological impact on passengers and crew can be significant. It is important to take all necessary precautions to prevent such an event from occurring.