1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does an electron need to absorb energy

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Light falling on a metallic surface of work function 0.3 eV gives energy to the surface at a rate of 5x 6edf763703b89d98480ec50f62ab6b47.png W per square metre of the metal's surface. Assume that an electron on the metal's surface can absorb energy from the area of about 1x[PLAIN]http://www.matematyka.pl/latexrender/pictures/e/b/eb7bbf435df9523928fb3157689f9fcf.png. [Broken]
    How long will it take the electron to absorb an amount of energy equal to the work function?

I've tried to do this exercise but my result is 96 s while it should b 16 min.
    I'd be thankful if anyone could help :xx

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello and welcome to PF! As a newcomer, please note that we ask that you always use the template for submitting questions. This includes showing some detail of your calculation.

Your answer looks correct to me based on the numbers given. The answer of 16 min differs from your answer by a factor of 10. A work function of 0.3 eV seems very small to me. I wonder if it should have been stated as 3.0 eV.

4. Jan 22, 2015 #3
    Thank you very much for your answer. :) Apparently there is mistake in data given in the exercise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted