1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does it take for the train to stop moving?

1. Jun 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a train is traveling down a straight track at 20m/s when the engineer applies the brakes resulting in an acceleration of -1.0m/s^2 as long as the train is in motion. how far does the train move durin g a 40 second time interval starting at the instant the brakes are applied?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm new to physics and have no idea what to do. i keep getting zero when i plug it into the formula. also...i know that the train eventually stops before 40 seconds and doesn't travel anywhere...but how do i incorporate that into the equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

How long does it take for the train to stop moving?

4. Jun 27, 2007 #3
    i think it takes 20 seconds...but i'm not so sure.

5. Jun 27, 2007 #4

Doc Al

That's correct. If you're not sure, review the definition of acceleration.

6. Jun 27, 2007 #5
    okay...so if it takes 20 seconds for the train to stop moving...doesn't that mean it travels for a total of 210 meters?

7. Jun 27, 2007 #6

Doc Al

How did you deduce that? (Always show your work.)

8. Jun 27, 2007 #7
    i'm using common sense for the problem but i don't know what equation to use to get the answer of 200 meters. i just did 20+19+18+...+1+0=210 meters.

9. Jun 27, 2007 #8

Doc Al

Commonsense is OK if you can justify it. What do those numbers mean? 20 = ?; 19 = ?...

If you are thinking that the train travels 20 m in the first second, etc., that's not quite correct. Hint: What's the average speed during the first second?

I suspect you should be learning some kinematic relationships.

10. Jun 27, 2007 #9
    thanks so much...i figured it out...and finally understand what i'm doing with all my other hw problems!

11. Jun 27, 2007 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?