How long does it take the ray to traverse this path?

• Thread starter mba444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path Ray
In summary, a light ray enters the atmosphere of a planet with an index of refraction of 1.2 and descends to the surface 15.2 km below, where the index of refraction is 1.55. Using the equation delta V = C/(delta N), the time it takes for the ray to traverse this path is 1.779*10^-5 seconds. In a vacuum, it would take the light ray the same distance in less time due to the constant speed of light.
mba444

Homework Statement

A light ray enters the atmosphere of a
planet where it descends to the surface
15.2 km below. The index of refraction where
the light enters the atmosphere is 1.2 and it
increases uniformly to the surface where it has
a value of 1.55.
I) How long does it take the ray to traverse this path? Answer in units of s.
II) How long would it take to cover the same distance in a vacuum? Answer in units of s.

Homework Equations

speed of light= 2.99*10^8
delta V = C/(delta N)
delta V= delta X / delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

For Question I what i did is that
delta N = N2-N1= 1.55-1.2= 0.35
delta V = (2.99*10^8)/(0.35) = 8.54*10^8 m/s
delta t = 15.2*10^3/8.54*10^8= 1.779*10^-5sec

but I am not sure if my way is correct can someone please check and tell me if I am going wrong somewhere

and for II) i didnt understand what is needed therefore i didnt know how to attempt at a solution

need your help and thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
V1 = C/N1
V2 = C/N2
delta V = C( 1/N1 - 1/N2)

i didnt understand

Velocity in the medium = velocity of light in vacuum/refractive index of the medium.
So Δv = C/N1 - C/N2

is this a calculus-based course? because i think you would need to use calculus in a situation where the refractive index changes uniformly. as for the second part, it's much easier than you're making it. after all, the index of refraction is relative to the vacuum. for instance, in a piece of glass with index n=1.5, light travels 1.5 times more quickly in a vacuum than it does in the glass.

1. How is the speed of the ray calculated?

The speed of the ray is calculated by dividing the distance of the path by the time it takes for the ray to traverse it. This gives the average speed of the ray in meters per second.

2. What factors affect the time it takes for the ray to traverse the path?

The time it takes for the ray to traverse the path is affected by various factors such as the medium through which it is traveling, the angle at which it enters the medium, and any obstacles or changes in the medium along the path.

3. Can the time it takes vary for different rays traveling on the same path?

Yes, the time it takes for a ray to traverse a path can vary for different rays. This is due to factors such as the initial velocity and direction of the ray, as well as any interactions with particles or objects along the path.

4. How accurate are the calculations for the time it takes the ray to traverse the path?

The accuracy of the calculations depends on the precision of the data used and the assumptions made in the calculation. In general, the more accurate the data and the more realistic the assumptions, the more accurate the calculation will be.

5. Is there a maximum or minimum time for a ray to traverse a path?

There is no maximum or minimum time for a ray to traverse a path, as the time will depend on the specific conditions of the path and the properties of the ray. However, there may be certain factors that limit the speed or distance the ray can travel, resulting in a longer or shorter traversal time.