1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of the least value of PD needed to produce x-rays

Tags:
  1. Apr 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    XXUSO.png

In my excercise book, I was given a typical diagram as that in Fig (6-7) above.
    And the problem statement says:
    The diagram presents the x-ray spectrum produced by Coolidge tube. Determine the least potential difference needed to produce the characteristic radiation.

2. Relevant equations
    E= hƒ = hc/λ where: h is Planck's constant, ƒ is the frequency, c is light speed and λ is the wavelength)
    K.E= eV

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't know how to start in this, because the diagram doesn't appear to be precise, I mean I don't know actually the precise shortest wavelength where the characteristic radiation appears in the diagram, would it be 0.07nm?!

If it would be 0.07nm, I will do this:

E=hc/λ=(6.625*10^-34)* (3*10^8)/ (0.07*10^-9)
    =2.8*10^-15 j
    Then,
    eV= E -----> V=E/e = (2.8*10^-15)/ (1.6*10^-19)
    =17.5 kV.

But I don't think my approach is correct, so I am waiting your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you come up with abetter estimate? λm is to the left of the 0.04 nm mark.
    What makes you say this?

4. Apr 4, 2017 #3
    OK, but it is λm of the bremsstrahlung radiation not the characteristic, isn't it?
    I say that my approach is wrong because I don't actually understand the problem or how to start.

5. Apr 4, 2017 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Y
    Correct. Now suppose you have an electron accelerated to energy E. Consider two cases after it slams into the target: (1) it produces a single photon of energy E; (2) it produces two photons each with energy E/2. In which case is the wavelength shorter?

6. Apr 4, 2017 #5
    The photon in case (1) will have a shorter wavelength because it has a larger frequency. But what is the relation of this with what we try to get?

7. Apr 4, 2017 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that we are trying to get the potential difference (1) through which the electron is accelerated.
    Note that (1) is related to the energy of the electron (2).
    Note that, if (2) goes into producing a single photon, this photon has the minimum wavelength λm (3).
    Note that you can read (3) off the plot.

8. Apr 4, 2017 #7
    OK. But let me say something here, and I hope you get my point of view:biggrin:
    The accelerated electron through the PD, can produce either a bremsstrahlung spectrum or a characteristic spectrum, right? The bremsstrahlung has its own minimum wavelength, the characteristic spectrum has its own minimum wavelength too, right?
    The minimum wavelength of the bremsstrahlung can be estimated to be 0.035nm whilst the minimum wavelength of the characteristic is (in my opinion) directly below the left peak of the characteristic line spectrum, e.g., 0.07nm.
    Are those points correct?

9. Apr 4, 2017 #8

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is more appropriate to think that the accelerated electron produces a certain number of photons, not a spectrum. The sum of the energies of these photons must equal the initial energy of the electron. The spectrum is generated by looking at the distribution of a whole lot of photons produced by a whole lot of electrons.

10. Apr 4, 2017 #9
    OK, you are right. But still I don't know the answer of my question.

11. Apr 4, 2017 #10

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Please read post #6. It has all the hints you need. Connect the dots.

12. Apr 4, 2017 #11
    I don't know which wavelength (0.035nm or 0.07nm) is to be used to solve the problem.

13. Apr 5, 2017 #12

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the minimum wavelength. Minimum means smallest. Which is smaller, 0.035 nm or 0.07 nm?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted