How long does it take to make homework that comes out even, when there

• Thread starter Tyrion101
  • Start date
I'm starting to get to a point where the numbers are getting sometimes well beyond 3 digits in length and, I'm constantly amazed at the fact that there are usually no decimals anyplace in the actual problem, and I was wondering how long does it take to find questions that don't have decimals in the problem?

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't see why it should take any time at all. How hard can it be to make up problems that have integer solutions?

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If the problem involves right triangles (utilizing the Pythagorean therem, c2 = a2 + b2) then it ends up pretty easy if the triangles are 3-4-5 triangles (52 = 32 + 42).

You can also scale the 3, 4 and 5 by any constant and it still works out. For example, let's multiply them all by 123.

c2 = 3692 + 4922.

Solve for c.

Last edited:
AlephZero
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
A good way is first decide what you want the answer to be, then work backwards to find the numbers in the question.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I don't see why it should take any time at all. How hard can it be to make up problems that have integer solutions?

Not very hard for those who can easily solve them forwards and back. But for someone first learning, it's an interesting observation. I wonder how many students are shocked the first time they get an answer that has a digits after the decimal, and realize it's a correct answer!