Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does it take to make homework that comes out even, when there

1. Oct 18, 2013 #1
    I'm starting to get to a point where the numbers are getting sometimes well beyond 3 digits in length and, I'm constantly amazed at the fact that there are usually no decimals anyplace in the actual problem, and I was wondering how long does it take to find questions that don't have decimals in the problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't see why it should take any time at all. How hard can it be to make up problems that have integer solutions?

4. Oct 18, 2013 #3

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the problem involves right triangles (utilizing the Pythagorean therem, c2 = a2 + b2) then it ends up pretty easy if the triangles are 3-4-5 triangles (52 = 32 + 42).

You can also scale the 3, 4 and 5 by any constant and it still works out. For example, let's multiply them all by 123.

c2 = 3692 + 4922.

Solve for c.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  5. Oct 18, 2013 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A good way is first decide what you want the answer to be, then work backwards to find the numbers in the question.

6. Oct 18, 2013 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not very hard for those who can easily solve them forwards and back. But for someone first learning, it's an interesting observation. I wonder how many students are shocked the first time they get an answer that has a digits after the decimal, and realize it's a correct answer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook