How Long Until the Train Stops Moving Up the Inclined Track?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving an engine pulling a train of two cars out of a mine on a sloped track. The cars have a mass of 1.1x10^4 Kg and there is no friction on the tracks. The engine can exert a maximum force of 1.6x10^5 N on car A. The question is asking how long it will take for the train to stop moving up the track if the engine decreases its force on car A at a constant rate of 2.9 N per second. The original speed of the train was 3.4 m/s. The person asking for help is looking for an explanation of the solution rather than just the answer. They were not
chimez14
I've tried as much methods as I can think of but none have been fruitful, I need help please! here's the question:
An engine is used to pull a train of two cars out of a mine. The floor slopes upward at an angle of 22 degrees. Each car has a mass of 1.1x10^4 Kg and normally travels without friction on the tracks. The engine can exert a maximum force of 1.6x10^5 N on car A. If the engineer again throttles back so that the force exerted by the engine on car A decreases at the constant rate of 2.9 N per second, how long before the train stops moving up the track? Assume the original speed was 3.4 m/s
Please don't just write the answer, try as much as possible to explain..I'm here to learn, a friend told me about this

Physics news on Phys.org
i didnt know we're not supposed to post here.

I can understand your frustration with this inclined plane force problem. It can be challenging to solve complex physics problems, especially when you have exhausted all the methods you can think of. However, don't worry, I am here to help you.

First, let's break down the problem into smaller parts to make it more manageable. We have an engine pulling a train of two cars, and the floor is sloping upward at an angle of 22 degrees. The mass of each car is 1.1x10^4 kg, and there is no friction on the tracks. We also know that the engine can exert a maximum force of 1.6x10^5 N on car A.

Next, we need to figure out the initial speed of the train. We are given that the train normally travels without friction, so we can use the formula for kinetic energy (KE=1/2mv^2) to solve for the initial speed. Plugging in the values, we get:

KE = 1/2(1.1x10^4 kg)(3.4 m/s)^2 = 1.5x10^5 J

Now, let's look at the second part of the problem, where the engineer throttles back the engine, causing the force exerted on car A to decrease at a constant rate of 2.9 N per second. We can use Newton's second law (F=ma) to calculate the acceleration of the train. Since we know the mass of the train (2.2x10^4 kg), we can solve for the acceleration:

F = ma
1.6x10^5 N - 2.9 N/s(t) = (2.2x10^4 kg)(a)
a = (1.6x10^5 N - 2.9 N/s(t)) / (2.2x10^4 kg)

Now, we can use the equation for displacement (d=1/2at^2) to calculate the distance the train travels before coming to a stop. The final velocity will be zero since the train stops moving.

d = 1/2(1.6x10^5 N - 2.9 N/s(t)) / (2.2x10^4 kg) (t)^2
0 = 1/2(1.6x10^5 N - 2.9

Related to How Long Until the Train Stops Moving Up the Inclined Track?

What is an inclined plane force problem?

An inclined plane force problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on an object on an inclined plane.

What is the equation for calculating the force on an object on an inclined plane?

The equation is F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the inclined plane.

How do you determine the direction of the force on an object on an inclined plane?

The direction of the force is always perpendicular to the surface of the inclined plane.

What is the significance of friction in an inclined plane force problem?

Friction plays a role in an inclined plane force problem because it opposes the motion of the object and must be taken into account when calculating the net force on the object.

How can you apply the concept of inclined planes in real life?

Inclined planes are commonly used in everyday life, such as ramps for wheelchairs and loading docks for trucks. They can also be used in machines like escalators and inclined conveyor belts.