How Long Will It Take for Ice to Melt in a Styrofoam Cooler?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Sucks@Physics
Messages
76
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A large styrofoam cooler has a surface area of 1.0m^2 and a thickness of 2.5cm. If 5.0kg of ice at 0C is stored inside and the outside temperature is a constant 35C, how long does it take for all the ice to melt? (Consider conduction only)


Homework Equations


kA(delta)T/d = Q/(delta)T

Q=mc(delta)T


The Attempt at a Solution


I tried (.042J/mxsxC)(1.0m^2)(35C)/.025m = 58.8j/s but I don't think that the change in temperature is correct.

But after getting that answer solve for Q=(5.0kg)(2100J/kgxC)(35C) = 367500J again i don't think the change in temperature is correct

Then divide 367000J/58.8j/s = 104.4 hours. which i know is incorrect

Help would be appreciated thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the total surface area is 1.0m^2. But I figured it out, I just needed to use the latent heat equation