How Long Will It Take to Stop a Sled?

• Thread starter srishtig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, stopping time refers to the end or halt of a process or event. Its calculation depends on the specific process or event, but generally involves dividing distance or quantity by speed or rate of change. Factors that can affect stopping time include initial speed, distance, external forces, and obstacles. Stopping time can sometimes be altered or controlled, but in certain cases, it cannot be changed. Determining the stopping time for a specific process or event requires a deep understanding of the factors involved, as well as precise measurements and calculations, and may involve experiments or simulations.
srishtig

Homework Statement

While sledding you reach the flat bottom of the hill while moving 8.0 m/s^2. The μ (kinetic) between the sled and snow is μk= .080. The mass of you and the sled is 95 kg. How long does it take to stop the sled?

I'm not sure how to do this problem and I've been trying for a while. if i could please get some help i would greatly appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what acceleration does the friction provide?

im not even really sure how to do that

Related to How Long Will It Take to Stop a Sled?

1. What is stopping time?

Stopping time refers to the moment when a process or event comes to an end or is halted.

2. How do you calculate stopping time?

The calculation of stopping time depends on the specific process or event. However, in general, stopping time can be calculated by dividing the distance or quantity by the speed or rate of change.

3. What factors can affect stopping time?

There are many factors that can affect stopping time, including the initial speed or rate of change, the distance or quantity involved, external forces such as friction or air resistance, and the presence of obstacles or barriers.

4. Can stopping time be altered or controlled?

In some cases, stopping time can be altered or controlled by adjusting the initial speed or rate of change, changing the distance or quantity involved, or manipulating external forces. However, there are some processes or events where stopping time cannot be altered.

5. How do you determine the stopping time for a specific process or event?

The determination of stopping time for a specific process or event requires a thorough understanding of the factors involved, as well as precise measurements and calculations. It may also involve conducting experiments or simulations to gather data and analyze the results.