How many Advanced Engineering courses in semester?

In summary, the individual is planning to graduate by 2017 and is considering taking multiple advanced engineering courses per semester to expedite the process. They are seeking advice on the difficulty of these classes and whether it is feasible to take 3-4 per semester. They express a love for learning and a willingness to challenge themselves. Another individual shares their experience taking multiple engineering courses and offers advice to talk to advisors and maintain a balanced schedule. The individual is reassured and confident in their ability to handle the workload.
qmanballer
I want to get done by 2017 or before...I started college in 2012 and switched major to Electrical Engineering , double major Philosphy :D

come next summer I'll have the core engineering classes remaining and 7 philosophy courses to get that degree.

My question is how many advanced engineering courses and the combinations of these classes can realistically take to get done as soon as possible. I don't know the " difficulty " level of these classes so I want to know if I can so 3 per semester, or 4 per semester

These are the engineering classes at my school
Circuits 2
Introduction to Logic Design
Electronics 1
Analysis of Linear Systems
Stochastic Processes and Random Signal
Laboratory 1
Electronics 2
Electrical Engineering Practice
Electromagnetic Fields and Waves
Introduction to Microcontrollers
Microcontroller Lab
Laboratory 2
Engineering Design 1
Engineering Design 2
Control Systems Lab
OR
Communication Systems Lab
EEL 4512L
Control Systems 1
Communications Systems
Introduction to Digital Signal Processing

Of those three can do I the first three , next semester next three. For example

Summer
Circuits 2
Introduction to Logic Design
Electronics 1

Fall 2015
Analysis of Linear Systems
Stochastic Processes and Random Signal
Laboratory 1

So on and so forth. Or there any classes on this list where they're too " hard" to do in a combination with other classes.

I'm the type who loves gaining knowledge, challenging and pushing myself.

But I would like some advice from somebody who's done these types of engineering classes and has a better grasp of what these classes entail.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

It's very hard to answer your question as we don't know the course syllabus nor the difficulty.

Your best bet would to talk to your advisor and other students at your school who have gone through these courses before.

In general it's a bad idea to rush things and take 3 or more courses in your major at the same time. It's better to take 1 or 2 and complete your non major requirements at the same time.

Think of it like a dinner, you have the most nutritious stuff first before you have dessert. Your interesting major courses are your dessert. Also as you progress through your major like junior and senior year things will get much tougher and you need to pace yourself to avoid burnout.

It should be perfectly reasonable to take 3-4 core EE courses in a semester. I started at a community college and I transferred to a university...I pretty much have EE core classes left and nothing else to fluff out my schedule.

Last spring I took
-digital system design + lab
-circuits 1 (AC and DC RLC circuit analysis) + lab
-modern physics/physics 3
-thermo fluids

Now this fall (already started)
-electronics 1 + lab
-embedded systems + lab
-electromagnetic fields
-semiconductor device physics
-12 hours of research a week

Of course a lot depends on the actual content of the class, not just the names. I can post course descriptions to give you an idea but that shouldn't matter too much.

If you devote a few hours a day to course work/studying you should be able to maintain a strong GPA and graduate in a timely fashion.

I find that the core classes actually complement each other well. For example in semiconductor physics I learn the physics behind Transistors and then in electronics I learn how to use them in design.

Hope that helps.

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

It's very hard to answer your question as we don't know the course syllabus nor the difficulty.

Your best bet would to talk to your advisor and other students at your school who have gone through these courses before.

In general it's a bad idea to rush things and take 3 or more courses in your major at the same time. It's better to take 1 or 2 and complete your non major requirements at the same time.

Think of it like a dinner, you have the most nutritious stuff first before you have dessert. Your interesting major courses are your dessert. Also as you progress through your major like junior and senior year things will get much tougher and you need to pace yourself to avoid burnout.

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I'm going to talk to students who have done this, but 1 or 2 would really take too long at this point.

snowman_ said:
It should be perfectly reasonable to take 3-4 core EE courses in a semester. I started at a community college and I transferred to a university...I pretty much have EE core classes left and nothing else to fluff out my schedule.

Last spring I took
-digital system design + lab
-circuits 1 (AC and DC RLC circuit analysis) + lab
-modern physics/physics 3
-thermo fluids

Now this fall (already started)
-electronics 1 + lab
-embedded systems + lab
-electromagnetic fields
-semiconductor device physics
-12 hours of research a week

Of course a lot depends on the actual content of the class, not just the names. I can post course descriptions to give you an idea but that shouldn't matter too much.

If you devote a few hours a day to course work/studying you should be able to maintain a strong GPA and graduate in a timely fashion.

I find that the core classes actually complement each other well. For example in semiconductor physics I learn the physics behind Transistors and then in electronics I learn how to use them in design.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, this answer gave me a lot of insight and now know I can theoretically do 3-4 classes and pass them.

I've heard too many times that such and such class is hard, or you shouldn't take two math classes a semester. But it never turns out to be as hard as they say. I think I just have a different mentality.

I look forward to these engineering classes

1. How many Advanced Engineering courses can I take in one semester?

It depends on your university's specific curriculum and requirements. Some universities may allow you to take as many Advanced Engineering courses as you want, while others may have a limit. It's best to consult with your academic advisor to determine the maximum number of courses you can take.

2. Can I take Advanced Engineering courses from different departments in one semester?

Yes, it is possible to take Advanced Engineering courses from different departments in one semester. However, keep in mind that each department may have its own set of prerequisites and course requirements. It's important to plan ahead and make sure you fulfill all the necessary requirements for each course.

3. Are Advanced Engineering courses more difficult than regular engineering courses?

It depends on the specific course and your own abilities. Generally, Advanced Engineering courses are designed to challenge students and require a deeper understanding of the subject matter. However, with proper preparation and dedication, many students are able to successfully complete these courses.

4. How many credits do Advanced Engineering courses typically have?

Again, this may vary depending on your university's curriculum. Typically, Advanced Engineering courses are worth more credits than regular engineering courses due to their higher level of difficulty and depth of material. They may range from 3-5 credits per course.

5. Can I take Advanced Engineering courses as electives?

Yes, many universities offer Advanced Engineering courses as electives for students who are interested in exploring different areas of engineering or want to specialize in a specific field. However, it's important to check with your academic advisor to make sure these courses fulfill any elective requirements for your degree program.