How Many Beta Phases Are Involved in Turkish Cymbal Making?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mustafa Umut
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beta Phases
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Mustafa Umut
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
I am researching Turkish cymbal making technology and I discovered and learned that they made in beta phase.
Beta phase comes within % 23 to % 25 tin ratio and 625 to 780 - not exactly , you must look to diagram - degrees heat.
I found few phase diagrams and it seems to me there is only one beta phase in diagrams , very norrow triangle.
But I found some chat about beta phases and they are talking about beta 1 or beta 2 and others.
Do you know how many strange beta phases hidden inside B diagram ?
And is it enough to heat the disc to cherry red and put into the water or is there a time to wait as necessary waiting time ?

Best regards ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi Mustafa...we seem to be on a similar path. I know from casting bronze that when you cool it quickly it becomes easier to work (soft) and I have heard that if you hold it at high temperature for say half an hour it becomes much harder than you would expect. So maybe the benefit of holding it at that temperature may be lost by the quick cooling that follows...or it may make it a stronger cymbal...