How many coins are there? (Please verify/confirm my work)

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
The ‘-50‘ equation requires you to factor x and y.I don't think that using the '27' equation necessarily leads to guessing x=y. It is just a matter of preference and what seems more intuitive. Some people may find the '27' equation easier to solve because they can mentally divide both sides by 77, whereas others may find the '50' equation easier because they can factor. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and understanding of how to manipulate equations.
Math100
Homework Statement
Solve the puzzle-problem below:
Yen Kung, 1372. We have an unknown number of coins. If you make 77 strings of them, you are 50 coins short; but if you make 78 strings, it is exact. How many coins are there?
[Hint: If N is the number of coins, then N=77x+27=78y for integers x and y.]
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof: Let N be the number of coins.
From the hint, we get the following Diophantine equation:
N=77x+27=78y for integers x and y.
Applying the Euclidean Algorithm produces:
78=1(77)+1
77=77(1)+0.
Now we have gcd(77, 78)=1.
Note that 1##\mid##27.
Since 1##\mid##27, it follows that the Diophantine equation
77x+27=78y can be solved.
Then we have 1=78-1(77).
This means 27=27[78-1(77)]
=27(78)-27(77)
=27(78)+27(-77).
Thus, xo=27 and yo=27.
Substituting xo=27 and yo=27 into the Diophantine equation
77x+27=78y, we get 77(27)+27=78(27)=2106.
Therefore, there are 2106 coins.

Is this the right/correct answer? I couldn't find the answer from my textbook because it didn't provide any. Can someone please review/confirm my work for this problem and see if this is the correct answer? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you test your answer in the original problem statement?

Likes Math100
FactChecker said:
Why don't you test your answer in the original problem statement?
How should I do that?

Plug your value into the equations and see if it works. I did it in about 3 minutes.
Checking your answers is a step that you should always do until you have completely mastered the problems.

Likes Math100
I got 77(27)+27=78(27)=2106.

I think the hint is wrong. Where did the “50“ go?

Likes FactChecker and Math100
It is best to go to the very original problem statement. That way you know that there is no mistake.

caz said:
I think the hint is wrong. Where did the “50“ go?
Really? Let me think. I thought that the hint is correct, so I falsely followed it.

But if that's the case, then we should have 77x+50=78y since the original problem mentioned that "you are 50 coins short". And I substituted the value of xo=27, yo=27 into 77(27)+50=78(27) but the equation doesn't make sense at all, because the left side of the equation doesn't match/equal to the right side of the equation.

1) I think you have misinterpreted 50 coins short. You are 50 coins short of 77 strings.
2) The answer (27,27) you derived with the wrong equation will not solve the correct one.

Likes Math100
The answer you got from the hint gives the correct answer to the original problem statement. So there is some translation from the 50 in the problem to the 27 in the hint. The fact that 50+27=77 may have something to do with it.

Likes Math100
(2106+50)/77=28 and 2106/78=27. So the solution to the hint works in the original problem statement. Now the question is, where did the 50 go to and the 27 come from in the hint?

Likes Frabjous and Math100
FactChecker said:
(2106+50)/77=28 and 2106/78=27. So the solution to the hint works in the original problem statement. Now the question is, where did the 50 go to and the 27 come from in the hint?
77-50=27

FactChecker said:
That‘s a cool trick. It took me a while to figure it out.

It boils down to being more natural to work with 27 than with -50. In 77x+27, x is the number of coins in each non-completed string. If you instead let z be the number of coins in each completed string then x=z-1 and 77x+27 = 77z-50. These are equivalent since x is an integer iff z is an integer.

You can solve it directly as follows. You start laying out the coins in 77 strings (rows), but you are 50 coins short, so the first 27 rows have an extra coin:

27 rows with ##k + 1## coins
50 rows with ##k## coins

Now, take one coin from each of the first 27 rows and make a 78th row to give:

27 rows with ##k## coins
50 rows with ##k## coins
1 row with 27 coins

Therefore: ##k = 27## and ##N =78 \times 27##.

Likes Orodruin
Math100 said:
How should I do that?
Get hold of 2106 coins. Or, manipulate 2106 boxes on a spreadsheet.

Why is the ‘27‘ version of the equation preferable to the ’-50‘ version?

If you have an equation of the form,
ax+b=cy {a,b,c>0}{c>a}
then
x=y=b/(c-a) is a solution when b/(c-a) is an integer
This is probably generalizable.

caz said:
Why is the ‘27‘ version of the equation preferable to the ’-50‘ version?

If you have an equation of the form,
ax+b=cy {a,b,c>0}{c>a}
then
x=y=b/(c-a) is a solution when b/(c-a) is an integer
This is probably generalizable.
The versions are completely equivalent as I showed in #15. It is only a matter of which people tend to feel more natural to work with.

Orodruin said:
The versions are completely equivalent as I showed in #15. It is only a matter of which people tend to feel more natural to work with.
I was aiming for asked and answered. The ‘27’ equation allows you to guess x=y which is simpler to solve.

1. How do you determine the number of coins in circulation?

To determine the number of coins in circulation, we must first consider the type of coins being counted. Different types of coins have different methods of circulation and may require different data sources. Generally, the number of coins in circulation can be found through government or central bank reports, which track the amount of coins produced and distributed. This information is often publicly available online.

2. What is the difference between the number of coins in circulation and the number of coins minted?

The number of coins in circulation refers to the total number of coins currently being used as a medium of exchange. This includes coins that have been in circulation for a long time and may have been produced in previous years. The number of coins minted, on the other hand, refers to the total number of coins that have been produced and released into circulation in a specific year. Therefore, the number of coins in circulation may be higher than the number of coins minted.

3. How do you account for lost or damaged coins?

Lost or damaged coins are often accounted for in the production and distribution process. Central banks and governments track the number of coins produced and distributed, as well as the number of coins returned to be melted down and recycled. The difference between these numbers can give an estimate of the number of coins that have been lost or damaged and are no longer in circulation.

4. Is there a standard method for counting coins?

There is no standard method for counting coins, as it can vary depending on the purpose and context of the count. For example, a bank may use a machine to count large quantities of coins quickly and accurately, while an individual may count coins by hand for a personal collection. However, when reporting the number of coins in circulation, central banks and governments typically use a standardized method to ensure accuracy and consistency.

5. Can the number of coins in circulation change over time?

Yes, the number of coins in circulation can change over time. Coins can be removed from circulation due to loss or damage, or they can be added through production and distribution. Additionally, as the economy and population grow, the demand for coins may increase, leading to more coins being produced and circulated. Therefore, the number of coins in circulation is not a fixed number and can change over time.