Can anyone please check/confirm my work on this proof?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scientist seeking a second opinion on their work to ensure accuracy. The expert offers to review the proof for any errors and provide feedback on the logical soundness, potential improvements, accuracy and relevance of assumptions and premises, and the clarity and readability of the proof.
Math100
Homework Statement
Prove 1^2+2^2+...+n^2=(1/6)n(n+1)(2n+1) for all positive integers n.
Relevant Equations
None.
Please check/confirm my work of this proof and tell me if it's correct or not. Thank you.

Attachments

• Proof.pdf
    630.2 KB · Views: 128
Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof is not correct. Your final equation is not equal to the formula for n+1, and you are trying to prove the wrong thing anyway. The series is 12 + 22 +...+ n2, not 1 + 2 +...+n.

Likes Math100
omgursh i love your hand writing

1. What is the purpose of asking someone to check/confirm my work on a proof?

The purpose of asking someone to check or confirm your work on a proof is to ensure the accuracy and validity of your proof. It is always helpful to have a second set of eyes look over your work to catch any mistakes or errors that you may have missed.

2. Who should I ask to check/confirm my work on a proof?

You should ask someone who has expertise in the field of the proof you are working on. This could be a fellow scientist, a professor, or a mentor who has experience in the specific topic you are working on.

3. How do I know if my proof is ready to be checked/confirmed by someone else?

You should first make sure that you have thoroughly reviewed and checked your proof yourself. Once you are confident in your work, you can ask someone else to check or confirm it. It is also helpful to have a clear and concise presentation of your proof, with all steps and explanations clearly laid out.

4. What should I do if the person checking/confirming my work finds mistakes?

If the person checking or confirming your work finds mistakes, it is important to listen to their feedback and make necessary revisions to your proof. It is also helpful to ask for specific explanations on where you went wrong and how to improve your proof.

5. Is it okay to ask multiple people to check/confirm my work on a proof?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask multiple people to check or confirm your work on a proof. In fact, it is often recommended to get multiple perspectives and feedback to improve the accuracy and clarity of your proof.