How Many Electrons Are Removed to Achieve a Positive Charge on an Electroscope?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
ital_dj
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If an electroscope has a positive charge of 7.5 x 10[tex]^{-11}[/tex]C, how many electrons have been removed from the electroscope, if it was originally neutral?

(Answer: 4.7 x 10[tex]^{8}[/tex])


Homework Equations


I don't know :shy:


The Attempt at a Solution


Guys I seriously am clueless with this question. I understand basic electricity a little, like circuits, but I don't even know where to start with this. I have all formulas required, but I don't know which one to use, and my exam is tomorrow :rolleyes:

There are also some other questions which I'll probably post later, I'm really stuck on this, and your help is appreciated... a lot!

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ital_dj said:
-1?? I don't know to be honest with you.

an electron has a charge of [itex]-1.6 \times 10^{-19}[/itex]
 
Okay, thanks.. but how do I put that into the question??
 
well... what you told me is like a completely new language to me... thanks for the help, but i really don't understand it (i understand what you're saying but i don't know what to do with that)... is there a specific equation i can use?

EDIT: I'm going to bed, my exam's early in the morning... I guess electricity won't be that great on the exam. Thanks everyone for the help.
 
Last edited:
rock.freak667 said:
an electron has a charge of [itex]-1.6 \times 10^{-19}[/itex]

It might have been beneficial to include units (Coulombs) in that answer, but anyway it's a moot point now.
 
Well I did the exam today so I'm done with physics for now... no need for the answer... I think I did pretty decent on the exam... no questions like that, though.

Thanks everyone for the help.
 
ital_dj said:
Well I did the exam today so I'm done with physics for now... no need for the answer... I think I did pretty decent on the exam... no questions like that, though.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Even though it's up to you to want to know the answer, IMO it's best to understand how to get the answer so in case you are presented with a similar question,you'd know how to get through it.