How many elementary charges does this particle carry?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equations Fm=qvB and r=(mv)/(qB) to calculate the number of elementary charges on a particle and the radius of its circular path in a magnetic field. The elementary charge is equivalent to the charge of an electron, approximately 1.602×10[sup]-19 C.
Kylah
1. A force of 9.2x10-14 acts on an unknown particle that travels at 2.40x106 m/s into a magnetic field of 4.8x10-2 T. How many elementary charges does this particle carry?
I've used Fm=qvB and found q=Fm/vB and got an answer of q=7.986 x10-19 C. I'm not sure where to go from here. I assume I have to divide by the elementary charge... but I don't know what that is. Haha.

2. An alpha particle with a charge of 3.20x10-19 C and a mass of 6.65 x10-27 kg is traveling at 5.0 x106 m/s. When it enters a magnetic field of 6.4 x10-2 T, a magnetic force provides the centripetal force for the alpha particle. The centripetal force causes the alpha particle to travel in a circular path. Calculate the radius of the circular path.
Do I simply use the equation r=(mv)/(qB)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kylah said:
1. A force of 9.2x10-14 acts on an unknown particle that travels at 2.40x106 m/s into a magnetic field of 4.8x10-2 T. How many elementary charges does this particle carry?
I've used Fm=qvB and found q=Fm/vB and got an answer of q=7.986 x10-19 C. I'm not sure where to go from here. I assume I have to divide by the elementary charge... but I don't know what that is. Haha.

The elementary charge is the same as the magnitude of the charge of an electron, about 1.602×10-19 C.
Kylah said:
2. An alpha particle with a charge of 3.20x10-19 C and a mass of 6.65 x10-27 kg is traveling at 5.0 x106 m/s. When it enters a magnetic field of 6.4 x10-2 T, a magnetic force provides the centripetal force for the alpha particle. The centripetal force causes the alpha particle to travel in a circular path. Calculate the radius of the circular path.
Do I simply use the equation r=(mv)/(qB)?

Sounds good to me :approve:

Last edited:
1. the charge on an electron is -1.602 176 487 × 10–19 C

2. Yes, that's the correct formula.

Thanks! :smile:

1. What is an elementary charge?

An elementary charge is the electric charge carried by a single proton or electron. It is the smallest unit of electric charge and is equal to approximately 1.602 x 10^-19 coulombs.

2. How is the elementary charge determined?

The elementary charge was first determined by physicist Robert Millikan in his oil drop experiment in 1909. He measured the charge on individual oil droplets and found that they were all multiples of a single, fundamental charge, which he determined to be the elementary charge.

3. Can the elementary charge vary?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the elementary charge can vary. It is considered a fundamental constant of nature and has remained consistent in all experiments and measurements.

4. How is the elementary charge used in particle physics?

The elementary charge is used as a unit of measurement in particle physics to describe the charge of subatomic particles. For example, an electron has a charge of -1 elementary charge, while a proton has a charge of +1 elementary charge.

5. Is the elementary charge the same for all particles?

No, the elementary charge is not the same for all particles. It is dependent on the type of particle and can vary from +1 to -1. For example, the proton has a charge of +1 elementary charge, while the electron has a charge of -1 elementary charge.