1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How many extra electrons does the toner particle carry?

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A photocopier imaging drum is positively charged to attract negatively charged toner particles. Near the surface of the imaging drum, the E field has a magnitude of 1.90 × 105 N/C
    A. What must be the be the magnitude of the negative charge on a toner particle of mass 2.80 × 10 -12 kg if it is to be attracted to the drum with a force that is 10.0 times its weight?
    B. How many extra electrons does the toner particle carry?
    2. Relevant equations

I have already figured out A with F=qe and W=mg
    That answer came out to be = 1.44E-15 C
    I cant figure out B. How many extra electrons does the toner particle carry?
    3. The attempt at a solution

The answer here is 9.03E+3 but I dont know how that is the right answer, can someone please explain? I feel like it is probably just a formula, but i dont know it

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you know the total charge is -1.44 x 10-15 Coulombs.

The next thing to ask yourself is how much charge (i.e. how many Coulombs) is carried by a single electron? (You can look this up if you haven't memorized it.) :wink:

[Edit: And welcome to Physics Forums, jbirse!]

4. Aug 2, 2010 #3
    Thanks! I knew it was probably pretty simple, but I was just unsure of what to exactly do. thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook