Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many equations are there for the unit circle?

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    hopefully we all know x^2 + y^2 =1 and x=cost y=sint, t between 0 and 2pi.

There's also one with slope;

x= (1-t^2)/(1+t^2)
    y= (2t)/(1+t^2)

I was wondering if this counts as a separate one

x+iy=e^it, t also between 0 and 2pi

or if this is analogous to the trig parameterization. I don't know a whole lot of trig(I'm not really a math man per se), but something in my gut tells me these two aren't really different... Anyway, I was just curious. I'd also be interested in any other ones.

I don't know much about hyperbolic geometry, can there be a unit circle for that?

I'm also starting to work through something as a set of ratios, but does anyone else have any other ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2009 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is analogous. Euler's identity eit = cost + isint.

4. Nov 18, 2009 #3
    There's also r=cost and r=sint, i don't know if you'd count them as unit circles though (they are off centre).

5. Nov 19, 2009 #4
    How about x^2 + y^2 = 1 + a - a for any a? :tongue:

It doesn't make much sense to ask this question, there are infinitely many equations we can come up with.

6. Nov 19, 2009 #5
    This derives from the first by setting
    [itex]
    t=\tan\frac{a}{2}
    [/itex]
    An in fact they all can be found this way. Plug in any function (that has the required range) for a variable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook