Questions about electrophotography

• Thread starter The_General
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed an experiment using an old photocopier from Ricoh, model S-1, which works with a photosensitive paper or metal sheet. It was noted that when the bias control is set to the maximum setting, the material behaves as a negative one instead of producing a positive image. The individual researched but could not find any information on electrophotography or xerography in their university library. Additionally, the concept of a laser printer using a laser to remove charges from the photosensitive drum was discussed, with the question of how the printer makes the charged toner adhere to neutral parts of the drum. An explanation from Wikipedia stating that toner and the drum having like charges allows the toner to adhere to
The_General
I had an experiment using an old photocopier from Ricoh, model S-1. It works with a photosensitive paper or metal sheet. First, the sheet is charged by a corona discharge. The image is project on the paper surface. Next, two brushes distribute a charged metallic toner.
Ok, the phenomena is perfectly clear for me. Except when the bias control (increases charging voltage) is set to the maximum setting. Instead of getting a positive image (black in source equals black in the photosensitive material), it gives a negative.
I've researched a lot, and couldn't find any book about electrophotography neither xerography in my university library. I didn't find any evidence of a negative photosensitive material either.
It appears to me it uses the photon energy to release electrons from valence band to the conduction one. The opposite phenomena would be absurd.
So, why when the voltage is dramatically increased, the photosensitive material behaves as a negative one?

My second doubt concerns a laser printer. Seems to me it uses a laser in order to remove charges from the photosensitive drum, where it should be black. The problem is the same, how does the printer make the charged toner adhere to neutral parts of the drum?
I saw an explanation at wikipedia, which states that if the toner and the drum have like charges, it will adhere to neutral parts. I'm not very comfortable with this explanation because there's absolutely no force acting on the toner radial to the drum.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The_General said:
So, why when the voltage is dramatically increased, the photosensitive material behaves as a negative one?
Not necessarily. One can suck electrons out as well as push them in. The polarity of the plate could be plus or minus.

What is electrophotography?

Electrophotography, also known as xerography, is a printing process that uses electrostatic charges to create an image on a surface. It is commonly used in laser printers and photocopiers.

How does electrophotography work?

In electrophotography, a photoconductive surface is charged with static electricity. A laser or LED beam then selectively removes the charge to create an electrostatic image. This image is then transferred to a toner, which is attracted to the charged areas and transferred onto paper. The toner is then heated and fused onto the paper to create the final image.

What are the advantages of electrophotography?

Electrophotography offers several advantages over other printing processes, including high speed printing, high print quality, and the ability to print on a variety of surfaces. It also has lower operating costs and produces less waste compared to traditional printing methods.

What are the limitations of electrophotography?

One of the main limitations of electrophotography is its inability to print on certain materials, such as fabrics and rough surfaces. It also requires a warm-up time before printing can begin, and can be affected by changes in temperature and humidity. Additionally, some toners used in electrophotography may be harmful to the environment.

What are the common applications of electrophotography?

Electrophotography is commonly used for printing documents, flyers, and other materials in offices and businesses. It is also used for creating high-quality photographic prints, as well as printing on various packaging materials such as labels and cartons. In recent years, electrophotography has also been used in 3D printing and additive manufacturing.