How many faculty should a grad school have in my subfield?

In summary, when considering grad schools for electrical engineering with a focus on a specific sub field, it is important to look at the number and profile of researchers in that field at the university. A small and dynamic research group is ideal, but it is also important to consider the supervisory committees and connections of the potential supervisor. A lone researcher working in isolation may not be the best option, but this is uncommon.
axmls
I'm looking into some grad schools (electrical engineering in the US) right now that I'll be applying to next year. My research interests are in a sub field that doesn't have researchers at many universities (as opposed to something ubiquitous like, say, control systems or signal processing), so I'm limited to those universities that have researchers in the field. Even then, some universities only have 2-3 researchers in the field. Should I set any hard cutoff regarding the number of researchers in the sub field at the university (possibly as a ratio of the number of researchers in that sub field to the number of total researchers, to account for campus population)?

Physics news on Phys.org
axmls said:
I'm looking into some grad schools (electrical engineering in the US) right now that I'll be applying to next year. My research interests are in a sub field that doesn't have researchers at many universities (as opposed to something ubiquitous like, say, control systems or signal processing), so I'm limited to those universities that have researchers in the field. Even then, some universities only have 2-3 researchers in the field. Should I set any hard cutoff regarding the number of researchers in the sub field at the university (possibly as a ratio of the number of researchers in that sub field to the number of total researchers, to account for campus population)?

I don't think so. Is this 2-3 faculty, or 2-3 in the group in total? You should look at (a) the total size of the research group in the subfield (faculty to number of students and postdocs) (b) their profile. Look at the literature, see which groups are most active. A small but dynamic group is good. Too big, individual students get lost, but too small means that if someone you rely on leaves, you're in trouble.

In addition to what E.bar.goum said, it might pay to see if you can find out what the supervisory committees look like for current students in the field. Even if you're looking at a situation where your supervisor is the only person at that institution working in that area, he or she could have lots of connections that extend beyond the walls of the school. Grad students may have supervisory committee members that are external to the department or even the school. Those kinds of situations are generally fine. It's the lone wolf working in quasi-isolation that you need to be wary of, but such circumstances are fairly rare.

1. How is the number of faculty in a grad school subfield determined?

The number of faculty in a grad school subfield is typically determined by factors such as the demand for the subfield, the availability of qualified faculty, and the resources of the school. It is also important to have a balance of expertise and diversity among the faculty in a subfield.

2. What is the ideal size for a grad school faculty in a subfield?

There is no specific ideal size for a grad school faculty in a subfield as it can vary depending on the needs and goals of the school. However, having a smaller faculty can provide a more intimate learning experience for students, while a larger faculty can offer a wider range of expertise and research opportunities.

3. Does the number of faculty in a grad school subfield affect the quality of education?

The number of faculty in a grad school subfield can have an impact on the quality of education. A smaller faculty may be able to provide more personalized attention to students, while a larger faculty may have more resources and opportunities for research and learning. Ultimately, the quality of education depends on the expertise and dedication of the faculty, rather than the number of faculty.

4. Are there any disadvantages to having a small faculty in a grad school subfield?

A small faculty in a grad school subfield may have limited resources and expertise, which could affect the range of courses and research opportunities available to students. Additionally, a small faculty may have a limited ability to handle a large number of students, which could result in longer wait times for advising and feedback.

5. Can the number of faculty in a grad school subfield change over time?

Yes, the number of faculty in a grad school subfield can change over time. This could be due to changes in demand, availability of qualified faculty, or shifts in the focus of the school. It is important for schools to regularly evaluate their faculty needs and make adjustments as necessary to best support their students and achieve their goals.