How many interpretations of QM do you speak?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
137 replies · 6K views
Matterwave said:
It is interesting that the first time we realized we don't live in a Kolmogorovian universe was 24 years before Kolmogorov formulated his axioms.
Nothing that can't be fixed with a pinch of retrocausality :smile:

Lucas.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sambuco said:
Why is the electron forced to reappear with such frequency? Is it due to ##\frac{\hbar}{mc^2} \sim 10^{-21} \text{ s}##?
Yes. In his book "The Road to Reality" Penrose offers a similar picture: a zig-zag-line. The velocity operator has eigenvalues ## \pm c ##. For an electron "at rest" the average speed is zero, but because spin is conserved its helicity is constantly flipping from right-handed to left-handed and vice versa. Was once known as "Zitterbewegung".
 
jeffn1 said:
for practical purposes, "shut up and calculate" has proven extremely useful.
...because after calculation, every user (as long as shutting up = not using the word 'interpretation' ) is allowed to interpret the results as fits the context, unconstrained by the formal (and often too rigid) demands of an interpretation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: bhobba, gentzen and Demystifier
bhobba said:
A particle is an irreducible representation of the Poincaré group
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_physics_and_representation_theory
No, a particle is a click in a particle detector. :-p
Now seriously, the word "particle" has many different meanings in physics, so picking one of them and claiming that only this meaning is the "right" one is, well, rather narrow minded.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: bhobba and Lord Jestocost
I still think that "shut up and calculate", following the language analogy, is more akin to communicating through noises and gestures than to English.
 
javisot said:
I still think that "shut up and calculate", following the language analogy, is more akin to communicating through noises and gestures than to English.
I'd say it is just plain language without any similies, methaphors and other figures of speech. Say the way Dirac spoke English compare to the way a poet uses English.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: javisot and Demystifier
Demystifier said:
No, a particle is a click in a particle detector. :-p
Now seriously, the word "particle" has many different meanings in physics, so picking one of them and claiming that only this meaning is the "right" one is, well, rather narrow minded.
In addition!

In their article “The concept of the photon - revisited”, Ashok Muthukishnan, Marlan O. Scully and M. Suhail Zubairy remark:

'In the final portions of the article, we return to the basic questions concerning the nature of light in the context of the wave-particle debate: What is a photon and where is it? To the first question, we answer in the words of Roy Glauber:

"A photon is what a photodetector detects."

To the second question (on the locality of the photon), the answer becomes: “A photon is where the photodetector detects it.”
'

(in the book "The Nature of Light: What is a Photon?", edited by Chandra Roychoudhuri, A.F. Kracklauer, Kathy Creath, CRC Press)
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Sambuco, WernerQH and Demystifier
Kolmogorov's axioms of probability are perfectly compatible with QM. In fact, I am not aware of any coherent interpretation of QM based on non-Kolmogorovian probability.
 
  • Like
  • Agree
Likes   Reactions: bhobba and WernerQH
Demystifier said:
Kolmogorov's axioms of probability are perfectly compatible with QM. In fact, I am not aware of any coherent interpretation of QM based on non-Kolmogorovian probability.
Of course it is compatible. What the paper I shared aims to show is that if one accepts certain preconceptions from classical theories as true, it implies that the event space is broad enough to render Kolmogorov's axioms incompatible with quantum mechanics. Ultimately, it is a somewhat different way of analyzing issues such as the theory's contextuality.

Lucas.
 
Demystifier said:
Kolmogorov's axioms of probability are perfectly compatible with QM. In fact, I am not aware of any coherent interpretation of QM based on non-Kolmogorovian probability.
The closest I could find https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0510095

[edit] - PS Jurg Froehlich gives a related view of quantum theory through the lens of probability https://arxiv.org/abs/1310.1484

PPS This is not to say that ordinary Kolmogorovian probability is incompatible with QM. It just exists in a larger non-Kolmogorovian context.
 
Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sambuco and Demystifier
Sambuco said:
I know, but I asked you because I have the impression that many of those reconstructions start from an operationalist perspective, e.g. Höhn starts assuming a kind of relational interpretation.
Yes, they start from an operationalist perspective exactly like Einstein did with his 1905 SR paper. Wiltsche, McDevitt and I are working to justify that by basing all of physics in phenomenology directly.
Sambuco said:
Yes, I’ve read the paper and that section in particular. I got the impression that your approach is similar to Grangier’s Contexts-Systems-Modalities.
Yes, in that same paper we wrote: [Grangier et al., 2024] reach a similar conclusion, “based on a century of theoretical and experimental progress, our conclusion is that classical physics and quantum physics can neither function nor even be conceived one without the other."
Sambuco said:
1. You equate "Locality" with "Local Agency," but they are not the same thing. Locality is the same assumption employed by Bell in his original 1964 formulation of Bell's theorem, it is Shimony's "parameter independence". Instead, Local agency is Locality + No-superdeterminism.
2. You state that the three assumptions are true, but the "local friendliness" (LF) no-go theorem demonstrates that QM is incompatible with the conjunction of those three assumptions. That's why I asked you about how your approach deals with LF no-go theorem.
I grabbed those from Google AI, but I should have simply referred you to: “The Completeness of Quantum Mechanics and the Determinateness and Consistency of Intersubjective Experience: Wigner’s Friend and Delayed Choice,” Michael Silberstein and W.M. Stuckey. In Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics, edited by Shan Gao (Oxford University Press, 2022) 198-259 http://arxiv.org/abs/1901.10825 for a complete answer. Here is an executive summary.

Start with these two excerpts from the paper:

1791293075640.webp


and:

1791293126843.webp


Next, locality and statistical independence (no superdeterminism) were assumptions for Bell. We do not violate these assumptions because they only apply to causal explanations. Remember, Bell wanted to find out if additional variables could be added to QM "to restore to the theory causality and locality."

1791291601087.webp


According to our completion of the quantum reconstruction program, QM is as complete as possible and is a principle theory (formalism derived from an empirically discovered fact, i.e., observer-independence of h exactly like observer-independence of c for SR) that provides principle explanation (fundamental explanans is the principle that justifies the empirically discovered fact, i.e., relativity principle justifies observer-independence of h exactly like it justifies observer-independence of c for SR). For example, entanglement per the Mermin device is a conundrum ("A confusing and intricate problem" with no consensus solution) if you demand a causal account, but it is reduced to a paradox ("An assertion or condition that opposes common sense or logic yet turns out to be valid") when resolved in principle fashion. See my recent talk at Wright State University:



That's why we don't violate any of the assumptions in LF.
 
martinbn said:
I'd say it is just plain language without any similies, methaphors and other figures of speech. Say the way Dirac spoke English compare to the way a poet uses English.

javisot said:
I still think that "shut up and calculate", following the language analogy, is more akin to communicating through noises and gestures than to English.

That phrase ("shut up and calculate") is credited to Cornell's N. David Mermin (aged 91 and still calculating).
If you wish to understand what he meant by the phrase, he has already obliged us with the Physics Today article titled "Could Feynman Have Said This?"

I won't attempt to summarize the article, because a summary would provide a very lame explanation of the phrase's original meaning and origin. Besides, that article is short and largely quick and easy to read in whole.

But here is an interesting excerpt:
Although I didn’t say so in my old Reference-Frame article, what inspired this not so terribly bon mot were vivid memories of the responses my conceptual inquiries elicited from my professors—whom I viewed as agents of Copenhagen—when I was first learning quantum mechanics as a graduate student at Harvard, a mere 30 years after the birth of the subject. “You’ll never get a PhD if you allow yourself to be distracted by such frivolities,” they kept advising me, “so get back to serious business and produce some results.” “Shut up,” in other words, “and calculate.” And so I did, and probably turned out much the better for it. At Harvard, they knew how to administer tough love in those olden days.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: javisot and Lord Jestocost
@Sambuco I have not read the paper, just the abstract and some set up, but I did have some preliminary thoughts.

Sambuco said:
Of course it is compatible. What the paper I shared aims to show is that if one accepts certain preconceptions from classical theories as true, it implies that the event space is broad enough to render Kolmogorov's axioms incompatible with quantum mechanics.
From what I understand, the paper is saying that applying Kolmogorov axioms (and specifically the law of total probability, which is a consequence of the axioms) to the statistics of observables does not work.

The crux of the problem, though, it seems to me, is in defining how to apply Kolmogorov axioms of probability to QM situations and we have various no-go theorems saying how we can't do it. This "how" question informs the kinds of interpretations that make sense and are consistent with the QM formalism.

In other words, my feeling is that given how central the Kolmogorov axioms are to our understanding of probability, figuring out how to apply them is likely the more fruitful approach than saying something like:
...quantum matter can not be described by a Kolmogorovian probabilistic theory.
(What is quantum matter btw? Does it taste different than ordinary matter?)

Sambuco said:
Ultimately, it is a somewhat different way of analyzing issues such as the theory's contextuality.
Is it really different though? Or at least, different in a more elucidating way?
 
.Scott said:
That phrase ("shut up and calculate") is credited to Cornell's N. David Mermin (aged 91 and still calculating).
If you wish to understand what he meant by the phrase, he has already obliged us with the Physics Today article titled "Could Feynman Have Said This?"

I won't attempt to summarize the article, because a summary would provide a very lame explanation of the phrase's original meaning and origin. Besides, that article is short and largely quick and easy to read in whole.

But here is an interesting excerpt:
Although I didn’t say so in my old Reference-Frame article, what inspired this not so terribly bon mot were vivid memories of the responses my conceptual inquiries elicited from my professors—whom I viewed as agents of Copenhagen—when I was first learning quantum mechanics as a graduate student at Harvard, a mere 30 years after the birth of the subject. “You’ll never get a PhD if you allow yourself to be distracted by such frivolities,” they kept advising me, “so get back to serious business and produce some results.” “Shut up,” in other words, “and calculate.” And so I did, and probably turned out much the better for it. At Harvard, they knew how to administer tough love in those olden days.
Agreed, and thanks for sharing the information. But you will have noticed that, over the course of this conversation, it doesn't matter who said "Shut up and calculate" or what they meant by it. We are using "Shut up and calculate" to refer to "the formalism", "the textbook", QM without interpretation, orthodox QM, etc. (various names are used)
 
Demystifier said:
Now seriously, the word "particle" has many different meanings in physics, so picking one of them and claiming that only this meaning is the "right" one is, well, rather narrow minded.

My bad for implying that's the only possible definition.

Thanks
Bill
 
javisot said:
We are using "Shut up and calculate" to refer to "the formalism", "the textbook", QM without interpretation, orthodox QM, etc. (various names are used)
No, we don‘t! Maybe „the formalism“, but all the other things you mentioned are unrelated.
 
javisot said:
Agreed, and thanks for sharing the information. But you will have noticed that, over the course of this conversation, it doesn't matter who said "Shut up and calculate" or what they meant by it. We are using "Shut up and calculate" to refer to "the formalism", "the textbook", QM without interpretation, orthodox QM, etc. (various names are used)
Indeed I did - and it is well worth spending a moment to notice how our language is used at the "masters" level. So, in this case we have "Shut up and calculate" where the presumed author himself does not have a clear recollection of his full thoughts when he coined the phrase - but who can reconstruct, based on knowing his own personal history where it likely came from. Then we have an audience who picked it up and carried it to a different place - many thinking that it was likely a Feynman quote. And finally we have this thread where the phrase was resurrected for our more specific purposes. And what is key is that no one is "misusing" the phrase.

At the center of this is "ambiguity" - one phrase meaning several things and you get to pick. It's like a Swiss Army knife: What do you want it to be?

In that light, I give you Robert Frost's, "The Road Not Taken":
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

This is a very well-known poem and poet. Frost died in 1963. I first heard this poem in grade school - and now I live about 12 miles from the poet's farm.
If you want to know what was on Robert's mind when he wrote it, it is explained in this link.
But clearly Mr. Frost knew from the start that his largest audience would take this "philosophically" and that was fully part of his intention.
 
gentzen said:
No, we don‘t! Maybe „the formalism“, but all the other things you mentioned are unrelated.
Could you explain why you don't see those concepts as related in this discussion?

Are you saying that no one used "shut up and calculate" to mean "QM without interpretation"?, or was it that no one who mentioned a "QM textbook" was referring to books on the formalism of QM?