How many languages can you speak?

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    Just like the title says, how many languages can you speak? Actually fluent in, not counting bits and pieces. 1,2,3 or more? Post which ones if you want.

I myself am only fluent in one. :( Hopefully before I die I can make it two or more. lol. I want to learn czech and german (I'm 25% of each) and maybe one more. :D I know a little czech, only like touristy phrases though, such as; where is ___? can I have ___? how much is ____? how are you? Stuff like that.

Anyway, post up! :D

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2009 #2
    I speak only 1. But I went to school with a good friend that spoke 6:

English
    French
    Spanish
    Arabic (2 dialects)
    Japanese

4. Aug 12, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

I have lost most of my French and German through disuse, so I'm back to English (and Chicago-style blues). I met the daughter of a Scottish diplomat based in Switzerland when I was in college, and her English, French, German, and Italian were perfect and unaccented to my ears.

5. Aug 12, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm English - I'm sorry, I don't understand the question

6. Aug 12, 2009 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

:rofl::rofl:

I can speak most dialects of English.. that's at least 4 languages!

7. Aug 12, 2009 #6
    Does C++ count?

8. Aug 12, 2009 #7
    I proudly have in capabilities of speaking the 4 languages. English the best.

9. Aug 12, 2009 #8
    I am only fluent in English; I can speak some Latin and Romanian. (No, I am not Romanian on either side.)

10. Aug 12, 2009 #9
    I can speak English and Newfie fluently, and am conversational in Aussie and British and French, and have studied the basics of Russian and Mandarin.

11. Aug 12, 2009 #10
    I can only speak english and bits of Spanish from high school, but I plan on learning Hebrew in college, (granted they provide it next semester!) and maybe some French or Russian afterwards.

12. Aug 13, 2009 #11
    3 languages here.

13. Aug 13, 2009 #12
    I know english and a few dialects of english. I know only a smattering of ebonics.

14. Aug 13, 2009 #13
    I can speak 2 fluently, english and afrikaans...

15. Aug 13, 2009 #14

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

English and Modern Hebrew

16. Aug 13, 2009 #15
    I'm Australian but I speak American-English with a hint of British-English. None of this "G'day Mate! ho'ya doin'?" "Ya! good mate! Yah!" "Hows tee misses?" "Shes doin' alright aye! No worries dere mate!" "Mate! We gotta catch-up. Hava XXXX. We shoulda tak' tee old Commondore for a spin". Poor representation. I know. Sorry but it is fair worse than that.

That is hands down a language on its own.

I can also speak a substantial amount of German. I have had 2 attempts at learning French but failed on both occasions. I endeavour, after graduation, to move to a Scandinavian country. So we can say two for now and another potential future prospect.

17. Aug 13, 2009 #16
    I know two languages but can only speak one.
    English and Sign Language (ASL)

18. Aug 17, 2009 #17
    English (South African dialect)
    Dutch (actually East Flemish dialect from Belgium)
    German (fluency is lacking due to not using it enough any more)
    I can read and understand spoken Afrikaans, but don't speak it.

19. Aug 17, 2009 #18

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None very well. :)

20. Aug 17, 2009 #19
    -Python
    -C
    -Scheme
    :)

21. Aug 17, 2009 #20

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question is actually slightly ambiguous since it depends on what you mean by "fluent".

When I moved to England 4 years ago I THOUGHT I was fluent in English; but having to deal with estate agents, set up a bank account, home insurance etc proved me wrong.
    I quickly realized that there were plenty of words/expressions that I did now understand that are actually quite common in the "everyday" English (I e.g. did not know what a current account was); I also realized that there is huge difference between being able to understand what the actors in a Hollywood movie are saying and being able to understand someone sitting in a call-centre in northern Scotland. It took me a couple of years to reach a point where I felt comfortable talking to e.g. my bank over the phone.

I should point out that I've never had any problems at work, most of my English colleagues speak "Oxbridge" English which is easy to understand; and as long as the conversation centred around physics I was OK (I did my PhD in a very international group, so even when I was working in Sweden I spoke English most of the time while at work).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted