How many languages can you speak?

1. Just like the title says, how many languages can you speak? Actually fluent in, not counting bits and pieces. 1,2,3 or more? Post which ones if you want.

I myself am only fluent in one. :( Hopefully before I die I can make it two or more. lol. I want to learn czech and german (I'm 25% of each) and maybe one more. :D I know a little czech, only like touristy phrases though, such as; where is ___? can I have ___? how much is ____? how are you? Stuff like that.

Anyway, post up! :D
  2. jcsd
  3. I speak only 1. But I went to school with a good friend that spoke 6:

Arabic (2 dialects)
  4. turbo

turbo 7,063
    Gold Member

I have lost most of my French and German through disuse, so I'm back to English (and Chicago-style blues). I met the daughter of a Scottish diplomat based in Switzerland when I was in college, and her English, French, German, and Italian were perfect and unaccented to my ears.
  5. mgb_phys

mgb_phys 8,809
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm English - I'm sorry, I don't understand the question
  6. cristo

cristo 8,387
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can speak most dialects of English.. that's at least 4 languages!
  7. Does C++ count?
  8. I proudly have in capabilities of speaking the 4 languages. English the best.
  9. I am only fluent in English; I can speak some Latin and Romanian. (No, I am not Romanian on either side.)
  10. I can speak English and Newfie fluently, and am conversational in Aussie and British and French, and have studied the basics of Russian and Mandarin.
  11. I can only speak english and bits of Spanish from high school, but I plan on learning Hebrew in college, (granted they provide it next semester!) and maybe some French or Russian afterwards.
  12. 3 languages here.
  13. I know english and a few dialects of english. I know only a smattering of ebonics.
  14. I can speak 2 fluently, english and afrikaans...
  15. daniel_i_l

daniel_i_l 865
    Gold Member

English and Modern Hebrew
  16. I'm Australian but I speak American-English with a hint of British-English. None of this "G'day Mate! ho'ya doin'?" "Ya! good mate! Yah!" "Hows tee misses?" "Shes doin' alright aye! No worries dere mate!" "Mate! We gotta catch-up. Hava XXXX. We shoulda tak' tee old Commondore for a spin". Poor representation. I know. Sorry but it is fair worse than that.

That is hands down a language on its own.

I can also speak a substantial amount of German. I have had 2 attempts at learning French but failed on both occasions. I endeavour, after graduation, to move to a Scandinavian country. So we can say two for now and another potential future prospect.
  17. I know two languages but can only speak one.
    English and Sign Language (ASL)
  18. English (South African dialect)
    Dutch (actually East Flemish dialect from Belgium)
    German (fluency is lacking due to not using it enough any more)
    I can read and understand spoken Afrikaans, but don't speak it.
  19. jim mcnamara

jim mcnamara 1,565
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None very well. :)
  20. -Python
  21. f95toli

f95toli 2,472
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question is actually slightly ambiguous since it depends on what you mean by "fluent".

When I moved to England 4 years ago I THOUGHT I was fluent in English; but having to deal with estate agents, set up a bank account, home insurance etc proved me wrong.
    I quickly realized that there were plenty of words/expressions that I did now understand that are actually quite common in the "everyday" English (I e.g. did not know what a current account was); I also realized that there is huge difference between being able to understand what the actors in a Hollywood movie are saying and being able to understand someone sitting in a call-centre in northern Scotland. It took me a couple of years to reach a point where I felt comfortable talking to e.g. my bank over the phone.

I should point out that I've never had any problems at work, most of my English colleagues speak "Oxbridge" English which is easy to understand; and as long as the conversation centred around physics I was OK (I did my PhD in a very international group, so even when I was working in Sweden I spoke English most of the time while at work).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted