What type of american english do you speak?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    English Type
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
70 replies · 11K views
45% General American English
35% Yankee
20% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

That's a weird reply since I'm French. :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Norman said:
I was born and raised in Green Bay, WI and have spent the last 8 years in Milwaukee...

...But these New Englanders (I just moved here about a month ago) are sometimes completely unintelligible.
This is so funny. When I was a kid in New Hampshire, a family moved to town from Wisconsin. Their accent was completely outlandish. We'd never heard such a thing!

Most people are aware of the general regional dialects, from TV and movies if nothing else, but I'm not sure most people in the US are familiar with the hiarious Wisconsin accent. It doesn't get much press. There have been some California vs Wisconsin Cheese commercials made in California in the past few years, that tried to take aim at it, but I'm not sure if they pulled it off.

Once I left NH, of course, I became the one with the outlandish accent. To avoid standing out like a sore thumb, I have toned it down to near neutral. Now, when I go back to New England, everyone there sounds pretty hilarious. Most of those small cities in Massachusetts are particuarly thickly accented.
 
somasimple said:
45% General American English
35% Yankee
20% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

That's a weird reply since I'm French. :smile:

Yeah...I don't think this test is accurate at all.
 
Townsend said:
Yeah...I don't think this test is accurate at all.
Because it only gives you one choice: some kind of American usage. Even people from Lower Sylvania for whom English is a third language end up seeming to have some kind of American dialect, because that's the only choice.
 
Non-Americans will naturally speak Genglish and Yank. But if you can't Yank, you're not a jerk.
 
60% General American English
25% Dixie
10% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

MammaMia! :biggrin:
 
70% General American English
20% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern
5% Yankee
0% Dixie

I have lived my whole life in the PNW, was relived to see no dixie! I had to pick a random answer for the hard class question, I had never heard or used any of the terms!
 
45% General American English
35% Yankee
20% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

But i do try to speak the queens english whenever the opportunity arises.
 
55% General American English
20% Yankee
10% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
5% Midwestern


Hows that? fur a Rabbit?

LD
Oh Ya, By The Way, What is an A-m-e-r-i-c-a-n E-n-g-l-i-s-h-??Is it like, a Dog, or something else?[/color]
 
Last edited: