1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

1. I speak no other language except my native language

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. I speak/read one foreign language

23 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. I speak/read two foreign languages

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. I speak/read three or more foreign languages

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    I'm pretty fluent in English and German.My Russian needs a significant improvement,however.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My native language is English.

I have the literacy of a two-year-old in about three others.

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

English is my native language but I speak German and am fairly competant at French.

6. Jan 29, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

My native language is Croatian. It's obvious what's the first non-native language I speak, und hier ist auch die zweite solche Sprache.

(...et mon Francais est terrible. :tongue2: )

7. Jan 29, 2007 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fluent in English English, can read French, and can speak 'holiday French'. And I can say "cheers" in Finnish!

8. Jan 29, 2007 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.

9. Jan 29, 2007 #8
    Croatian is my native language.

10. Jan 29, 2007 #9
    Finnish? Have you tried Hungarian also? The ugric language group is fascinating as it sounds NOTHING like any other European language

11. Jan 29, 2007 #10
    It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D

12. Jan 29, 2007 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?

13. Jan 29, 2007 #12

radou

Homework Helper

Pozdrav, zemljache! :cool:

Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.

14. Jan 29, 2007 #13
    Good surprise :tongue:

I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.

15. Jan 29, 2007 #14
    My native language is English. I am fluent and literate in Japanese. When I was young I was fluent and literate in Hebrew, but I have forgotten it, so I only gave myself credit for one foreign language. My wife's native language is Chinese. She also speaks Taiwanese and Japanese. She had a hard time when she came to the US as we could only find schools that teach English as a second language.

16. Jan 29, 2007 #15

radou

Homework Helper

You're right, but I was actually referring to 'well-educated' people in general (whatever that term is supposed to mean).

17. Jan 29, 2007 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To speak true English English you must also know the difference between a toucan crossing, a pegasus crossing, and a puffin crossing.

18. Jan 29, 2007 #17
    I think you would be surprised, in Europe at least the only mono-linguals are typically Francophones and Anglophones. The rest of Europe speaks at least 2 langauges, typically.

19. Jan 29, 2007 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

American English, with a year of German in college, many hispanic friends as a kid thus a fair amount of Spanish back then, a bit of Russian, enough French to order coffee in Paris, and Pig Latin, which Tsu and I use to keep the cats in the dark.

20. Jan 29, 2007 #19

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's a pegasus crossing? I've never heard of that before!

With regard to the question, I only speak English; oh, and a bit of French from school, but I doubt that's counted!

21. Jan 29, 2007 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its a zebra crossing on a fly-over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?