Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

1. I speak no other language except my native language

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. I speak/read one foreign language

23 vote(s)
    31.9%
  3. I speak/read two foreign languages

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. I speak/read three or more foreign languages

17 vote(s)
    23.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jan 29, 2007 #1
    I'm pretty fluent in English and German.My Russian needs a significant improvement,however.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2007 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.

4. Jan 29, 2007 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My native language is English.

I have the literacy of a two-year-old in about three others.

5. Jan 29, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

English is my native language but I speak German and am fairly competant at French.

6. Jan 29, 2007 #5

radou

Homework Helper

My native language is Croatian. It's obvious what's the first non-native language I speak, und hier ist auch die zweite solche Sprache.

(...et mon Francais est terrible. :tongue2: )

7. Jan 29, 2007 #6

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Fluent in English English, can read French, and can speak 'holiday French'. And I can say "cheers" in Finnish!

8. Jan 29, 2007 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.

9. Jan 29, 2007 #8
    Croatian is my native language.

10. Jan 29, 2007 #9
    Finnish? Have you tried Hungarian also? The ugric language group is fascinating as it sounds NOTHING like any other European language

11. Jan 29, 2007 #10
    It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D

12. Jan 29, 2007 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?

13. Jan 29, 2007 #12

radou

Homework Helper

Pozdrav, zemljache! :cool:

Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.

14. Jan 29, 2007 #13
    Good surprise :tongue:

I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.

15. Jan 29, 2007 #14
    My native language is English. I am fluent and literate in Japanese. When I was young I was fluent and literate in Hebrew, but I have forgotten it, so I only gave myself credit for one foreign language. My wife's native language is Chinese. She also speaks Taiwanese and Japanese. She had a hard time when she came to the US as we could only find schools that teach English as a second language.

16. Jan 29, 2007 #15

radou

Homework Helper

You're right, but I was actually referring to 'well-educated' people in general (whatever that term is supposed to mean).

17. Jan 29, 2007 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To speak true English English you must also know the difference between a toucan crossing, a pegasus crossing, and a puffin crossing.

18. Jan 29, 2007 #17
    I think you would be surprised, in Europe at least the only mono-linguals are typically Francophones and Anglophones. The rest of Europe speaks at least 2 langauges, typically.

19. Jan 29, 2007 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

American English, with a year of German in college, many hispanic friends as a kid thus a fair amount of Spanish back then, a bit of Russian, enough French to order coffee in Paris, and Pig Latin, which Tsu and I use to keep the cats in the dark.

20. Jan 29, 2007 #19

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What's a pegasus crossing? I've never heard of that before!

With regard to the question, I only speak English; oh, and a bit of French from school, but I doubt that's counted!

21. Jan 29, 2007 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its a zebra crossing on a fly-over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?