How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

• Thread starter tehno
  • Start date

How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

• I speak no other language except my native language

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I speak/read one foreign language

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I speak/read two foreign languages

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I speak/read three or more foreign languages

Votes: 17 23.6%

• Total voters
I'm pretty fluent in English and German.My Russian needs a significant improvement,however.

Last edited:

jtbell

Mentor
Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My native language is English.

I have the literacy of a two-year-old in about three others.

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
English is my native language but I speak German and am fairly competant at French.

radou

Homework Helper
My native language is Croatian. It's obvious what's the first non-native language I speak, und hier ist auch die zweite solche Sprache.

(...et mon Francais est terrible. :tongue2: )

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Fluent in English English, can read French, and can speak 'holiday French'. And I can say "cheers" in Finnish!

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Fluent in English English, .....
Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.

Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.
Croatian is my native language.

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.
Finnish? Have you tried Hungarian also? The ugric language group is fascinating as it sounds NOTHING like any other European language

It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D
Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?

radou

Homework Helper
Croatian is my native language.
Pozdrav, zemljache! :cool:

Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.

Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?
Good surprise :tongue:

Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.
I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.

My native language is English. I am fluent and literate in Japanese. When I was young I was fluent and literate in Hebrew, but I have forgotten it, so I only gave myself credit for one foreign language. My wife's native language is Chinese. She also speaks Taiwanese and Japanese. She had a hard time when she came to the US as we could only find schools that teach English as a second language.

radou

Homework Helper
Good surprise :tongue:

I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.

You're right, but I was actually referring to 'well-educated' people in general (whatever that term is supposed to mean).

brewnog

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.
To speak true English English you must also know the difference between a toucan crossing, a pegasus crossing, and a puffin crossing.

I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general.
I think you would be surprised, in Europe at least the only mono-linguals are typically Francophones and Anglophones. The rest of Europe speaks at least 2 langauges, typically.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
American English, with a year of German in college, many hispanic friends as a kid thus a fair amount of Spanish back then, a bit of Russian, enough French to order coffee in Paris, and Pig Latin, which Tsu and I use to keep the cats in the dark.

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
To speak true English English you must also know the difference between a toucan crossing, a pegasus crossing, and a puffin crossing.
What's a pegasus crossing? I've never heard of that before!

With regard to the question, I only speak English; oh, and a bit of French from school, but I doubt that's counted!

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
okay am I the only one for three? Proofs how old I am. In the dark ages of the educational system in the Netherlands, it was mandatory to study three foreign languages (German, French, English) with the philosophy that a small country has a lot of foreign neighbours. German and French are not a problem, but English..

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
1 English, but I can also speak a little French, although not enough to warrant the title bi-lingual. In my country Anglaterre that practically makes me a polymath :smile: j/k.

okay am I the only one for three? Proofs how old I am. In the dark ages of the educational system in the Netherlands, it was mandatory to study three foreign languages (German, French, English) with the philosophy that a small country has a lot of foreign neighbours. German and French are not a problem, but English..
The dutch really are amazing linguists. :) A real heavy Nord Holland accent speaking English, does however sound totally demented, like the CEO of Shell...

I speak American, DAMMIT!

Why dont YOU speak MY language. :rofl: