How many of you use a Nootropic?

• Medical
  • Thread starter john16O
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the use of nootropics, also known as "smart drugs", which enhance cognitive function. The participants discuss their experiences with nootropics and their potential benefits and drawbacks. One person expresses concern about the potential risks of self-medicating with these drugs.
john16O
Have you ever used a nootropic, or thought of using one?

I have read many reviews and articles about the benefit of using nootropics. For those of you who do not know what a nootropic is, they are basically "smart drugs", which enhance cognitive function. So i was just wondering how many of people on this forum have used a nootropic or though about using one.

Biology news on Phys.org
john16O said:

I have read many reviews and articles about the benefit of using nootropics. For those of you who do not know what a nootropic is, they are basically "smart drugs", which enhance cognitive function. So i was just wondering how many of people on this forum have used a nootropic or though about using one.
Yes, I've heard of them and became quite interested. I just took one a few minutes ago but I don't tink theeey hav emuch afec.

Please do a search next time john160, there are already a ton of these threads.

sorry, my mistake:(

john16O said:

In short they increase your interest in academic material and at times your memory i.e. you are may study for hours instead of becoming bored , they do not increase your IQ so don't take them to become an intellectual stud muffin.

no no, i completely agree with you. I take them for increase focus/concentration and an increase in memory would be an added bonus. I just bought Piracetam and CDP-choline. That is what I am going to take daily, and L-Huperzine A the night before an exam...

Is it alright to mess up the brain chemicals by taking all these drugs?

The brain might get confused into believing that there are higher levels of such chemicals and stop its own natural production. This might cause reduced cognition, memory etc. during periods of non-use

very good point! Since i cannot answer the question, I may have to do a bit of researching on this...i know some nootropics need to be cycled for this reason. I just bought some piracetam, the most commone nootropic, and CDP-Choline...I do know however that Piracetam uses up a greater amount of acetylcholine in the brain. To counter this, one must supplement with CDP-Choline, an acetylcholine supplier. This balances everything out...but like a said, i still need to do some more research.. good question!

Self medicating with drugs for unapproved uses is never a good idea, and one we can't condone here at PF. The risks of harmful side effects, as pointed out already, is too high.

1. What is a Nootropic?

A Nootropic is a substance that enhances cognitive function, such as memory, focus, and creativity. It is also known as a "smart drug" or "cognitive enhancer."

2. How do Nootropics work?

Nootropics work by increasing the production of neurotransmitters, which are chemicals that help transmit signals between brain cells. They can also improve blood flow to the brain, leading to improved cognitive function.

3. Are Nootropics safe to use?

The safety of Nootropics depends on the specific substance being used and its dosage. Some Nootropics have been extensively researched and deemed safe for consumption, while others may have potential side effects. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using any Nootropic.

4. Do Nootropics have any side effects?

Some Nootropics may have side effects such as headaches, nausea, or insomnia. It is important to carefully research the potential side effects of any Nootropic before use and to follow recommended dosage guidelines.

5. Can anyone use Nootropics?

Nootropics may not be suitable for everyone, especially those with underlying health conditions. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using Nootropics, especially if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or taking any medications.