1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many people hand-draw schematics anymore? (versus CAD)

1. Aug 12, 2016 #1
    I myself can't use CAD but just wanted to know because I think it is much more fun and artistic. (maybe I'm just the wierd mechanic).

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why ?

4. Aug 12, 2016 #3
    too much space taken on both laptops

5. Aug 12, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I always "free-hand" first --- work the kinks out before I actually get to design stages.

6. Aug 12, 2016 #5
    Plus working all those hours putting and erasing even the smallest details for hours on a screen sounds tedious and boring (boring as in a hole in my brain!)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  7. Aug 12, 2016 #6
    no offense

8. Aug 12, 2016 #7

billy_joule

Science Advisor

You'll hate paper drafting even more then, there's no ctrl x, ctrl v, ctrl c, etc etc on paper. Drawings can be done once and then auto update whenever design changes are made to the part files. Nearly everything about CAD makes the design and drafting process faster, easier and less tedious. That's the whole point of CAD.

9. Aug 12, 2016 #8
    hand drawing is a good time killer though

10. Aug 12, 2016 #9

billy_joule

Science Advisor

If your intention is to kill time then I guess paper is better.
    My intention is to be productive, so I use CAD.
    Businesses also prefer productivity to time killing which is why paper drafting ( bar a quick sketch) went like the typewriter; obsolete.

11. Sep 12, 2016 #10
    When i was in college 15 odd years ago they started teaching us technical drawing. Half way through the course they stopped binned the lot and consentrated on cad. They said no one uses technical drawing anymore. Which is true, unless you are doing it for yourself you should use cad. Although sketching an idea before putting it into cad is always useful.

12. Oct 12, 2016 #11
    Old school, by hand.

13. Oct 12, 2016 #12

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

The only experience I have with CAD was from a sequence course in high school. Unfortunately, I have forgotten anything I may have learned and do see myself having to relearn it in the future. I do prefer drawing and writing by hand, but using software is much better; my biggest issue is not knowing how to use it when I do need it. I do enjoy trying out other drawing software that isn't so hardcore, for sketching and playing. I use drawing for many daily things, it's a habit. When my Husband tore down the kitchen and rebuilt it, he used my hand-drawn blueprints and I was able to determine required materials almost exactly (keeping in-line with the budget). I don't exactly need a computer to draw a diagram of how I will redecorate, rearrange my furniture, or when I plan a party. By hand is easier in those cases. I don't have a job drafting and designing, if I did, then I would probably prefer CAD.

14. Oct 14, 2016 #13

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With CAD, you draw one 3D object and you can:
    • Make multiple views for the drawings. Change the object and all drawings update automatically;
    • Feed the object's data to a FEA program;
    • Feed the object's data to a CNC machine or 3D printer and get the actual part.
    By hand:
    • You have to create a set a of data based on your drawings to feed FEA and CNC programs, which might lead to errors;
    • For a bigger chance of errors, have humans interpret your drawings to machine it. This is true for every copy you machine;
    • Change one dimension and you need to redo all views for your drawings and create new set of data for FEA and CNC.

15. Oct 15, 2016 #14

Randy Beikmann

Gold Member

It all depends. For playing with ideas, I can draw several rough schematics by hand in the time you'd do it once in CAD. Once I get the right idea, CAD is great for accuracy, editing, and documenting.

Regardless, I still feel more creative with a pencil than a mouse. They say the same about taking notes by hand vs. typing: people retain learning better by writing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted