How many people hand-draw schematics anymore? (versus CAD)

In summary: Not having CAD skills doesn't stop me from doing anything with a drawing because it's just a basic outline and I can easily fill it in with Photoshop afterwards.In summary, I myself can't use CAD, but just wanted to know because I think it is much more fun and artistic. I myself can't use CAD, but like to use drawing and paper drafting instead.

how many of you hand draw schematics? or something related to.

• Total voters
TheQuietOne
I myself can't use CAD but just wanted to know because I think it is much more fun and artistic. (maybe I'm just the weird mechanic).

Engineering news on Phys.org
TheQuietOne said:
I myself can't use CAD

Why ?

too much space taken on both laptops

I always "free-hand" first --- work the kinks out before I actually get to design stages.

Likes Tom.G
Plus working all those hours putting and erasing even the smallest details for hours on a screen sounds tedious and boring (boring as in a hole in my brain!)

Last edited:
no offense

TheQuietOne said:
Plus working all those hours putting and erasing even the smallest details for hours on a screen sounds tedious and boring (boring as in a hole in my brain!)
You'll hate paper drafting even more then, there's no ctrl x, ctrl v, ctrl c, etc etc on paper. Drawings can be done once and then auto update whenever design changes are made to the part files. Nearly everything about CAD makes the design and drafting process faster, easier and less tedious. That's the whole point of CAD.

hand drawing is a good time killer though

TheQuietOne said:
hand drawing is a good time killer though
If your intention is to kill time then I guess paper is better.
My intention is to be productive, so I use CAD.
Businesses also prefer productivity to time killing which is why paper drafting ( bar a quick sketch) went like the typewriter; obsolete.

Likes russ_watters
When i was in college 15 odd years ago they started teaching us technical drawing. Half way through the course they stopped binned the lot and consentrated on cad. They said no one uses technical drawing anymore. Which is true, unless you are doing it for yourself you should use cad. Although sketching an idea before putting it into cad is always useful.

Old school, by hand.

The only experience I have with CAD was from a sequence course in high school. Unfortunately, I have forgotten anything I may have learned and do see myself having to relearn it in the future. I do prefer drawing and writing by hand, but using software is much better; my biggest issue is not knowing how to use it when I do need it. I do enjoy trying out other drawing software that isn't so hardcore, for sketching and playing. I use drawing for many daily things, it's a habit. When my Husband tore down the kitchen and rebuilt it, he used my hand-drawn blueprints and I was able to determine required materials almost exactly (keeping in-line with the budget). I don't exactly need a computer to draw a diagram of how I will redecorate, rearrange my furniture, or when I plan a party. By hand is easier in those cases. I don't have a job drafting and designing, if I did, then I would probably prefer CAD.

With CAD, you draw one 3D object and you can:
  • Make multiple views for the drawings. Change the object and all drawings update automatically;
  • Feed the object's data to a FEA program;
  • Feed the object's data to a CNC machine or 3D printer and get the actual part.
By hand:
  • You have to create a set a of data based on your drawings to feed FEA and CNC programs, which might lead to errors;
  • For a bigger chance of errors, have humans interpret your drawings to machine it. This is true for every copy you machine;
  • Change one dimension and you need to redo all views for your drawings and create new set of data for FEA and CNC.

It all depends. For playing with ideas, I can draw several rough schematics by hand in the time you'd do it once in CAD. Once I get the right idea, CAD is great for accuracy, editing, and documenting.

Regardless, I still feel more creative with a pencil than a mouse. They say the same about taking notes by hand vs. typing: people retain learning better by writing.

Likes Averagesupernova and Tom.G
With us there are production drawings that are standardised and that are done on cad and then there are little one off jobs where you just make a quick hand sketch of whatever needs to be made. Cad takes too long for small one off's, quick hand sketches are better for this

Likes Lnewqban
As an elderly man, I've lost the use of my hands for find details like drawing. I am forced to use CAD to make any sort of sketch or drawing. I'd much rather be able to have the option of doing it by hand; by hand is vastly quicker if not quite as neat .

Likes Lnewqban

1. What are the advantages of hand-drawing schematics over CAD?

Some people prefer hand-drawing because it allows for more creativity and customization. It also does not require expensive software or equipment.

2. Are there any disadvantages to using CAD for schematics?

One disadvantage of CAD is the learning curve and time it takes to become proficient in the software. It also requires a computer and specialized training, which may not be accessible to everyone.

3. Is hand-drawing schematics still necessary in the age of technology?

While CAD has become the standard in many industries, hand-drawing still has its place. It can be useful for quick sketches, brainstorming, and communicating ideas visually.

4. What industries still rely on hand-drawn schematics?

Industries such as fashion design, architecture, and art still heavily use hand-drawn schematics. It is also common in smaller businesses or hobbyists who may not have access to CAD software.

5. Are there any differences in accuracy between hand-drawn and CAD schematics?

CAD is generally more precise and can produce more accurate and detailed schematics. However, skilled hand-drawers can also produce accurate and detailed drawings with practice and precision.