How many photos of the Higgs were taken before 7.4.12?

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of photos and data taken for the existence of the Higgs particle. It is mentioned that 37 photos were taken for the top quark before its existence was announced, but the number for the Higgs is unknown. The conversation also touches on how data is collected and analyzed in particle detectors, and how the significance of the results is determined. The article mentioned provides further insights into these concepts.
gamow99
I read once that 37 photos of the decay products of the Top Quark were taken before its existence was announced but I have forgotten where I read it. Does anyone know the number of photos of the Higgs were taken before its existence was announced? Further, why would x number of photos yield a five sigma degree of certainty but not x - 1? Seems kind of arbitrary to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alternatively, if someone knows the number of photos that were taken of some other fundamental particle before its existence was announced then I would be happy to know that too.

You do not take photos of elementary particles. You observe their interactions and effects in particle detectors.

Likes ohwilleke
Orodruin said:
You do not take photos of elementary particles. You observe their interactions and effects in particle detectors.
Yes, I'm aware that 'taking a photo of a particle' does not have the same properties as 'taking a photo of a human'. Nevertheless, scientists need to rev up their particle accelerator and obtain data. Many of these acquisitions of data do not contribute to the existence of the Higgs but some of them do. So how many were there for the Higgs. In the OP I mentioned that I read somewhere that for the top quark that number was 37.

gamow99 said:
I read somewhere

...is not helpful.

You are saying "There are 37 somethings that I will call photos that aren't photos of the top quark, but I don't know exactly what they are. How many of these same things whatever they are are there for the Higgs?" That's a hard, hard question to answer.

By analyzing the data of previous collisions, have there been found indications of Higgs prior to 2012, after the physicists knew what to look for?

fresh_42 said:
By analyzing the data of previous collisions, have there been found indications of Higgs prior to 2012, after the physicists knew what to look for?
We knew what to look for the whole time. The mass was unknown, but that simply means you look at all possible mass values.
The 2011 dataset was sufficient to get a hint of a possible new particle at 125 GeV already, but more collisions (from 2012) were needed to clearly confirm that it is a new particle.

At the time of the Higgs discovery, ATLAS and CMS each had about 150-200 Higgs to two photon decays and ~5 Higgs to four lepton decays in the dataset. For individual events, you can never be sure what caused them, finding the Higgs and distinguishing it from background requires a statistical analysis.
gamow99 said:
Further, why would x number of photos yield a five sigma degree of certainty but not x - 1?
How much data you need depends on the signal strength, the detector performance, the amount of background, and a bit of randomness. The experiments updated their results once in a while with more data, at the time where the significance was close to 5 standard deviations they decided to make a press conference. A few events more or less wouldn't have changed that.

This Insights article discusses some of the concepts

Likes dlgoff, Imager, vanhees71 and 3 others
mfb said:
We knew what to look for the whole time. The mass was unknown, but that simply means you look at all possible mass values.
The 2011 dataset was sufficient to get a hint of a possible new particle at 125 GeV already, but more collisions (from 2012) were needed to clearly confirm that it is a new particle.

At the time of the Higgs discovery, ATLAS and CMS each had about 150-200 Higgs to two photon decays and ~5 Higgs to four lepton decays in the dataset. For individual events, you can never be sure what caused them, finding the Higgs and distinguishing it from background requires a statistical analysis.How much data you need depends on the signal strength, the detector performance, the amount of background, and a bit of randomness. The experiments updated their results once in a while with more data, at the time where the significance was close to 5 standard deviations they decided to make a press conference. A few events more or less wouldn't have changed that.

This Insights article discusses some of the concepts
Excellent answer. Thanks very much for your help. This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Also, does "150-200 Higgs to two photon decays and ~5 Higgs to four lepton" mean that for every 2 photon decays there were "sensed" 150 Higgs, or does this mean that in the entire life of CMS only two photon decays had occurred?

"150-200 Higgs to two photon decays" means "150-200 events in which a Higgs decayed to two photons (##H \rightarrow \gamma \gamma##)".

Last edited:
Thanks, I really appreciate your answer.

1. How many photos of the Higgs were taken before 7.4.12?

As a scientist, I cannot provide an exact number of photos taken before a specific date, as it varies depending on the experiment and equipment used. However, the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, where the Higgs was discovered, produced around 2.5 petabytes of data per year, which includes images and other data.

2. Why is it difficult to determine the exact number of photos of the Higgs taken before 7.4.12?

The Large Hadron Collider generates a massive amount of data, and not all of it is in the form of photographs. It also takes multiple images of the same event to ensure accuracy, and these images are often processed and combined to create a final result. Therefore, it is challenging to determine the exact number of photos taken before a specific date.

3. Can we see all the photos of the Higgs taken before 7.4.12?

No, not all of the photos taken are publicly available. The data collected by the Large Hadron Collider is carefully analyzed and reviewed by scientists before being released to the public. Additionally, some images may be deemed irrelevant or of poor quality and not included in the final results.

4. How do scientists decide which photos of the Higgs to use for their research?

Scientists use a combination of factors to determine which photos to use for their research. These include the quality of the image, the accuracy of the equipment used, and whether the image captures the specific event or particle they are studying.

5. Are there any plans to release more photos of the Higgs taken before 7.4.12 in the future?

Yes, scientists continue to analyze and review data from the Large Hadron Collider, and as new discoveries are made, they may release more photos or data from before 7.4.12. However, this is a complex process, and it may take some time for new information to be made available to the public.