How many spikes does it take to build a wall?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Wall
In summary: The left pin correlates to the layer that has the spike going through it.The left pin correlates to the layer that has the spike going through it....to the layer that has the spike going through it.The right pin correlates to the layer that doesn't have the spike going through it.The right pin correlates to the layer that doesn't have the spike going through it.In summary, you need three spikes to stitch one section of wall together. If you had staggered the layers, you would only need two.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
When I first started this, I thought I'd need only one spike to stitch the 6x6s together and to fix it to the ground.

But OK, I need two after all.

Having finished two, I realized it's still not secure!

How did I end up needing three spikes to stitch one section of wall? What did I do wrong??

spikes.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
You lapped the upper and lower sections identically. If you had staggered them successively, you could have used just 2 spikes

You don't want to line them up identically, because then you have a pivot point(*) where they line up. The way I've shown it, there is no single pivot point. It's not a LOT better than lining them up but it IS somewhat better.

* or what you might think of as a push point

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes anorlunda and Bystander
[size=small]added in edit.[/size]
How did I end up needing three spikes to stitch one section of wall?

Or worded differently: You needed to immobilize the ends of each timber.

Last edited:
Tom.G said:
Or worded differently: You need to immobilize the ends of each timber.
No, that's too vague. His technique did that, but he used 3 spikes. To really immobilize the ends of each timber, you'd need 4 spikes. Dave's goal was to reduce it to 2 spikes.

Three spikes are required if he wants to insure that the wall sections act as a continuous structure.

Likes russ_watters
JBA said:
Three spikes are required if he wants to insure that the wall sections act as a continuous structure.
Seems to me it would be 4. How do you get 3?

The three spikes fix the relative position of all bars along the direction of the wall.

Proof that you need three as soon as you have two layers and if you cannot use the ground: Layer 1 has two elements, they both need a spike through them. To fix their relative position these two need to go through the same element in a different layer. But then the second element in that layer doesn’t have a spike going through it - we need one more spike.

phinds said:
You lapped the upper and lower sections identically. If you had staggered them successively, you could have used just 2 spikes

View attachment 244497

You don't want to line them up identically, because then you have a pivot point(*) where they line up. The way I've shown it, there is no single pivot point. It's not a LOT better than lining them up but it IS somewhat better.

* or what you might think of as a push point
Sure, but I could have done the same two spikes with my staggered arrangement: #1 and #3 would have immobilized the ends, just like yours:
spikes2.png
Thing is: both your and my 2-spike implementation have the same flaw: the two sides are not stitched to each other - only to the ground. If you pushed inward on one side or the other, the stitch would still shear.EDIT: OK, I see you qualified it, recognizing that there is still some give in your joint, just not as much as in mine.

phinds said:
Seems to me it would be 4. How do you get 3?
I see 3 as well. How do you get 4?
In my initial diagram, all ends are secure.

The design I used on the original wall only required one spike. I was making curved wall, so a single pivot was desirable.
spikes3.png

This time the walls are straight. I made what I thought was a minor change without fully considering the consequences.

DaveC426913 said:
I see 3 as well. How do you get 4?
In my initial diagram, all ends are secure.
Yeah, but your upper and lower on the right can pivot around the spike. You'd need another spike over there to make it such that every beam has 2 spikes, so that it cannot pivot.

phinds said:
Yeah, but your upper and lower on the right can pivot around the spike. You'd need another spike over there to make it such that every beam has 2 spikes, so that it cannot pivot.
But they cannot pivot since they're secure at the other end.

DaveC426913 said:
But they cannot pivot since they're secure at the other end.
Ah, well in that case two spikes should be fine as in your post #8. I had not realized that you needed them stitch to each other, thus my post #2. With that caveat, your post #10 shows a good solution except for the obvious extra work of making the lap joints.

phinds said:
I had not realized that you needed them stitch to each other
One winter of ground heave would put them out of true if they weren't secure.

phinds said:
your post #10 shows a good solution except for the obvious extra work of making the lap joints.
And that it's much less pretty.

DaveC426913 said:
And that it's much less pretty.
Oh, I think that's in the eye of the beholder, but since you are the beholder ...

You appear to be making chains of links.
You seem to require the ends of all bars to be pinned.

The left pin correlates all the bars of the left link.
The right pin correlates all the bars of the right link.
The middle pin is a hinge pin that joins the interlocked fingers of two links.

Avoid the situation where finger joints are irregular and not alternately aligned.

Why not over lap more? Cut one of the 6x6 in half, go from there.

Attachments

• 1559669480188.png
    1559669480188.png
    250 bytes · Views: 252
A couple of years ago I built a similar wall, on a slope. The slope enables almost every length to be a single timber, with one pin at each end, progressively stepping down.

But at the bottom there is a corner, which if I remember correctly matches your 3-pin configuration.

1. How many spikes are needed to build a wall?

The number of spikes needed to build a wall depends on the size and design of the wall. Generally, one spike is needed for every 12-18 inches of wall height.

2. Can I use any type of spike to build a wall?

It is recommended to use specific wall spikes that are designed for this purpose. These spikes have a longer length and are stronger than regular nails or screws.

3. How deep should the spikes be inserted into the wall?

The spikes should be inserted at least 2 inches into the wall to ensure stability. However, the depth may vary depending on the type of wall and the weight it needs to support.

4. How far apart should the spikes be placed?

The distance between each spike depends on the type of wall and the weight it needs to support. Generally, spikes should be placed every 16-24 inches along the wall.

5. Can I build a wall without using spikes?

While spikes are the most common method for building walls, there are other options such as using construction adhesive or metal brackets. However, spikes provide the most secure and stable structure for a wall.