1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many times as high to achieve twice speed

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    A block initially at rest is allowed to slide down a frictionless ramp and attains a speed of v at the bottom. In order to achieve a speed of 2v instead at the bottom, how many times as high must the new ramp be?

What laws does this pertain to? I don't really know where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

It pertains to the conservation of energy.
    mgh = 1/2*m*v^2.

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    But I don't understand...velocity is only on one side of that equation. So how would you work it out for this problem?

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Exactly! What you have is the height of an object as a function of it's speed at the end. So if you know you must be a height, h, to achieve a velocity v, what must h be in order to achieve 2v?

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5
    2h, but it says the answer is 4 times as high...that's what's confusing me...I don't know how to reach this final answer of 4.

7. Nov 11, 2009 #6
    Nevermind, haha, I got it. Thanks a lot! Sorry for being a bit slow on the uptake : P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook