How many volts can a multimeter read?

In summary, a multimeter typically has a maximum voltage range of 1000 volts for DC and 750 volts for AC. It is not possible to measure voltage above this range as it can damage the device and potentially harm the user. Most multimeters have a manual or auto-range selection function for choosing the appropriate voltage range. They can also measure both DC and AC voltage, but it's important to select the correct setting. However, it is not recommended to use a multimeter for measuring high voltage circuits. Specialized equipment should be used for this purpose.
Inventor man
I have only tested mine (it is a cheap one $20) it on a 9V battery, what is the limit?

My multimeter starts from 1000V DC then 200,20, 2000m,200m...

I am a noob with this so sorry if I don't make sense

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm afraid that different multimeters have different scales. Your meter should have an owners manual. What does that say?

Sounds from the description like it has the scale printed on it and we already know the answer!

1. What is the maximum voltage that a multimeter can measure?

A multimeter typically has a maximum voltage range of 1000 volts for direct current (DC), and 750 volts for alternating current (AC).

2. Can a multimeter measure voltage above its maximum range?

No, attempting to measure voltage above the maximum range of a multimeter can damage the device and potentially cause harm to the user.

3. How do I select the appropriate voltage range on a multimeter?

Most multimeters have a manual range selection function where the user can choose the desired voltage range. Some multimeters also have an auto-range feature that automatically selects the appropriate range based on the measured voltage.

4. Can a multimeter measure both DC and AC voltage?

Yes, most multimeters have the capability to measure both DC and AC voltage. However, it is important to select the correct setting for the type of voltage being measured.

5. Can I use a multimeter to measure high voltage circuits?

It is not recommended to use a multimeter for measuring high voltage circuits, as it can be dangerous and may exceed the maximum range of the device. It is best to use specialized equipment designed for high voltage measurements.