Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much can one delete from a Roaming file?

1. Dec 24, 2014 #1
    My Malwarebytes keeps giving me a message that it has blocked a potentially damaging .exe file, and told me where to find it. I would like to delete a lot of this file, but a lot of articles say "Be very careful about deleting anything from the Roaming file." Scary. How much can I delete from this file without mucking up the application? For example, can I delete the temporary files and the history? But the only "exe" files I see are updates; can I delete the exe files without removing the actual updates?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2014 #2

Borg

Gold Member

If you're not sure, then just rename the file. Then, if the program stops working, you can restore it without a problem. I often rename updater programs that come with software so that they won't check to see if my program needs to be updated (in their opinion).

BTW, I assume that you're referring to the Roaming directory in the %USERPROFILE%/AppData directory?

4. Dec 29, 2014 #3
    Thanks, Borg. Sorry for the delay in answering. I am referring to the files that I receive when, in Windows 7, I put %appdata% in the "Search Programs" box in the Start menu.

5. Dec 30, 2014 #4

Borg

Gold Member

The files in that directory are for storing settings that are specific to your account. For example, Firefox stores all of your bookmarks in a subdirectory of that directory. There shouldn't be too many exe files in there. If you're sure that the files are update files, they are probably safe to delete. But, again, I would just rename them to change .exe to something like .old just in case.

6. Dec 30, 2014 #5
    Thanks, Borg. I have started to experiment, and so far my computer has not exploded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook