How much current is needed in an inductor to heat up water?

In summary, to heat 285g of water from 20.0 degrees Celsius to the boiling point of 100 degrees Celsius, 95532 J of energy is needed. To find the current needed in a 9.00mH inductor to store this energy, the equation U = 1/2 L (i^2) can be used.
utd223

Homework Statement

How much current is needed in a 9.00mH inductor so that the stored energy will be enough to heat 285g of water from 20.0 degrees Celsius to the boiling point of 100 degrees Celsius? Specific heat of water is 4190 J/kg*Celsius.

Homework Equations

q = cm(change in T)

The Attempt at a Solution

q = (4190)(0.285g)(100-20) = 95532 J

After this I got stuck, because I have no idea what to do with the inductance value and how to use it to find current. I looked at all the equations that my professor provided us, but I see no equations relating inductance, current, and energy. Any advice on how to begin would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the reply! In my work, I actually meant kg :) I did figure it out though, all thanks to you saying "energy stored in the inductor." I realized that I could use the equation U = 1/2 L (i^2), where U is the energy, and simply solve for i. For some reason, the stored energy part didn't register in my brain when I read the question, so thanks!

1. How does current create heat in an inductor?

Current flowing through an inductor produces a magnetic field, which creates eddy currents in nearby conductive materials such as water. These eddy currents generate heat through resistance, resulting in the heating of the water.

2. What is the relationship between current and heat in an inductor?

The amount of heat produced by an inductor is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through it. This means that the more current that flows, the more heat will be generated in the inductor and transferred to the water.

3. How much current is needed to heat up a specific amount of water?

The amount of current needed to heat up water in an inductor will depend on several factors, including the type of inductor, the size of the water container, and the starting temperature of the water. It is best to consult a professional or use a heating calculator to determine the specific current needed for your situation.

4. Is there a limit to how much current can be used to heat up water in an inductor?

Yes, there is a limit to how much current can be used to heat up water in an inductor. Exceeding the recommended current can damage the inductor and potentially cause safety hazards. It is important to use the appropriate current for the specific inductor and water container being used.

5. Can an inductor be used to heat up water without any current?

No, an inductor cannot heat up water without any current. The flow of electricity is necessary to produce a magnetic field and generate heat through eddy currents. However, the amount of current needed can vary depending on the specific inductor and water container being used.