How much energy does it take to climb stairs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter uno
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Efficiency
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
uno
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
1. Efficiency is defined as work-out/work-in. Muscles operate with an efficiency of about 20% in converting energy internally into work externally. Accordingly, how much energy will be expended by a 60 kg person in the process of ascending several flights of stairs to a height of 25 m?



2. I was using Wg=mgh



3. I used the formula to get an answer of 14715 J, but I'm not sure where to go from here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Eg yes does equal mgh

Now rmbr efficiency is work out (the amount of energy you get) / work in (how much work you actually put in)

Now we know efficiency is 20 percent and what is the work you get out (hint)