How Much Energy is Converted from Mass to Kinetic Energy in Uranium Fission?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
musicmar
Messages
95
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


In a fission process, a slow neutron causes a uranium nucleus (m=218943.42 MeV/c^2) to split into a barium nucleus (m=131261.73) and a krypton nucleus (m=85619.32), plus two excess neutrons (actually 3 including the original neutron, but that is present before the process as well), each of mass 939.57. Calculate the energy converted from mass to kinetic energy in this process.


Homework Equations


K= E-mc^2
E^2=p^2c^2+m^2c^4


The Attempt at a Solution



K = E - mc^2
Ebef=Eaft

Not given any velocities, the other formulas I have for energy and momentum are not really helpful. But I know that I will have to find the total energy before and after somehow.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You do not need those equations, you only need to figure out how much rest mass the system has before, and after the process. The difference between those will give you the released kinetic energy. The reason why you can do that here is because the neutron is "slow", its kinetic energy (around and less ~1eV) is much less than its "mass-energy" (939.57 MeV)

I'll give you a hint: the rest mass of the system before the process is
(218943.42 + 939.57) MeV / c2