1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much force is in this bar? Am I correct?

1. Aug 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Once again I am having trouble with a rather simple problem.

[Broken]

This bar above with the mass of 15 Kgs hangs in 2 threads/wires. The force in L1 is 49 N, what is the force in L2?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My solution is this; 1 Kg here on earth is 9.81 newtons. So by simply multiplying 15kg with 9.81 I get 147.15 N. The force in L1 is 49 N so is the force in L2 should be 98.15 N?

I am new to physics but I find it very interesting. The thing I wonder about, according to my solution the major force is in L2 with 98.15 N and by looking at the picture L1 seems to be carrying the major part of the bar so shouldn't L1 have the most force?

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2
    Your solution is correct. Because the bar is in equilibrium, the sum of all the forces must be zero.

As to why there are different forces in L1 and L2, that you will learn later, when you come to torques (A.K.A. moments of forces).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted