Moment of Inertia: Non Uniform Rod

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Andrew VanFossen
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hello,

I am looking to determine the moment of inertia for the cantilever beam pictured below. I want I to be a function of L1 and T1.

Known variables: L, D, P, t
Dependent variables: T2, L2
Design variables: T1, L1

rod.PNG


Homework Equations


L2 = L - L1
T2 = T1 - t

Standard Moment of Inertia: I = π/4 * (Ro^4 - Ri^4)
I am looking to modify the above equation to be include 2 sections of variable thickness

The Attempt at a Solution


I1 = π/64 * (D^4 - (D - T1)^4)
I = I1 * (1 - L1/L)^4

The above solution is valid for a linearly tapered beam, not a beam with 2 discrete sections. I have not been able to find any derived moments of inertia for the above shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Andrew VanFossen said:
I have not been able to find any derived moments of inertia for the above shape.
Moments of Inertia are additive. Just break it up into pieces of convenient shape, find the MoI of each (about the same axis) and add them up.