How Much Force is Needed to Move a 50kg Box with Friction and Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the horizontal force required to move a 50kg box across a rough horizontal surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.110 and an acceleration of 0.620 m/s/s. The participants suggest using Newton's second law and finding the frictional force, which can be calculated using the mass and normal force. The applied force must be equal to the sum of the frictional force and the net force.
sbesner
Hello everyone... I have been having some issues with this one particular... I'm sure its very simple, I just can't rap my head around it!Calculate the horizontal force required to move a 50kg box across level floor with an acceleration of 0.620 m/s/s if coefficient of friction is 0.110

FORCE = ??

I think its the acceleration that is throwing me off here. Would i need to find my Frictional force then determine my Fnet?

Thanks in advance for the aid.

-Stephan

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello >:D
Hmm a basic question indeed :D
The block is lying on rough horizontal surface.When an Force is applied, the Static friction,fs will come into play and try to oppose the relative motion.fs will increase as applied force is increased.But fs got a max. value (coef. of friciton)*(normal rxn by surface applying frictional force) and after that Kinetic friction will act and have value same as (coef. of friciton)*(normal rxn by surface applying frictional force)
Let the force applied Be F , Kinetic friction in opposite direction of F and apply Newton's second law .
U will get the answer :D

Hope this helps:)

Knowing both mass and acceleration you should find fnet using F=ma. This value plus the frictional force must equal the applied force so simply use the mass to find the normal force to get frictional force.

this is a easy problem al this means is to move the box forward your applied force will be Fnet+Ff.
hope this helps!

ie

Hello Stephanie,

In order to calculate the horizontal force required to move the 50kg box across the level floor, we first need to understand the forces at play. There are two main forces acting on the box: the applied force (F) and the frictional force (Ff). The applied force is the force that you need to exert on the box to make it move, and the frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of the box.

The equation for calculating the net force (Fnet) is Fnet = ma, where m is the mass of the box and a is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration is given to be 0.620 m/s/s. Therefore, Fnet = (50kg)(0.620 m/s/s) = 31 N.

Now, we need to take into account the coefficient of friction (μ) which is given to be 0.110. The formula for calculating the frictional force is Ff = μN, where N is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is equal to the weight of the box, which is mg = (50kg)(9.8 m/s/s) = 490 N. Therefore, Ff = (0.110)(490 N) = 53.9 N.

To find the applied force, we can use the equation F = Fnet + Ff. Substituting the values we have calculated, we get F = 31 N + 53.9 N = 84.9 N.

Therefore, the horizontal force required to move the 50kg box across the level floor with an acceleration of 0.620 m/s/s and a coefficient of friction of 0.110 is 84.9 N.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion you may have had. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to How Much Force is Needed to Move a 50kg Box with Friction and Acceleration?

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that acts on an object, resulting in a change in the object's motion or shape.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four main types of forces: gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Each type of force has a specific role in the universe and can affect objects in different ways.

3. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It can be caused by roughness or stickiness between the surfaces and can slow down or stop the motion of an object.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either help or hinder motion, depending on the situation. It can help by providing traction for walking or driving, but it can also hinder by creating resistance and reducing speed. In general, friction always acts in the opposite direction of motion.

5. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery surface between two objects. Smooth surfaces also experience less friction than rough surfaces. In some cases, we can also use wheels or rollers to minimize the contact between surfaces and reduce friction.