Blood pressure and needle insertion

In summary, the conversation discusses two homework problems involving blood pressure and syringe force. The first problem involves calculating the minimum height above the insertion point for a nutrient supply bottle to ensure proper flow into a patient with a blood pressure of 20 mmHg. The second problem requires determining the amount of force needed to produce a pressure of 250 mmHg in a syringe with a plunger area of 2 cm2. The equations for these problems are not provided, and the individual asking for help has not attempted the problems yet.
nfullernyg
OK, so I'm new here and really lost on how to these two problems involving blood pressure and syringe force etc. Any help would be appreciated, and if you could somewhat explain how you solved it that would be great, so I can know how to do this in the future.

Homework Statement

1. Someone you know is in the hospital and requires the intravenous feeding of nutrients. The blood pressure in the vein of the person is 20 mmHg. This means that the pressure in the vein is 20 mmHg greater than atmospheric pressure. What is the minimum height above the insertion point for the needle into the vein that the nurse must hang the nutrient supply bottle to ensure that the nutrients flow into the patient? Assume that the fluid nutrients have the density of water. (Remember that here Hg stands for the chemical symbol of mercury and is not height times gravitational acceleration.)

2. Suppose a horse has been tranquilized to treat an illness, and an injection is necessary. Also suppose that to give the shot in a time of 2 seconds, there is required a pressure in the body of the syringe of 250 mmHg. If the plunger inside the syringe has an area of 2 cm2, how much force must the veterinarian apply to the end of the plunger to produce this pressure? (Friction with the walls of the syringe is generally quite small and can be ignored.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no attempts because I cannot figure out where to start. I've read that mercury is 13.6 times as dense as water, but I'm not sure if that is even relevant. I tried these for a while last night, and just couldn't figure out where to even begin. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
ps, huge kudos if you can figure it out before i have class in 30 minutes

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with these problems involving blood pressure and needle insertion. I am happy to assist you in understanding these concepts and solving the problems.

For the first problem, we can use the equation P = ρgh to determine the minimum height above the insertion point for the needle. Here, P represents pressure, ρ represents the density of the fluid (in this case, water), g represents the gravitational acceleration (9.8 m/s^2), and h represents the height. We can rearrange this equation to solve for h: h = P/(ρg).

In this case, P = 20 mmHg, ρ = 1000 kg/m^3 (density of water), and g = 9.8 m/s^2. Converting mmHg to mH2O (height of water), we get 20 mmHg = 20/13.6 mH2O = 1.47 mH2O. Plugging these values into the equation, we get h = 1.47/(1000*9.8) = 0.00015 meters. This means that the minimum height above the insertion point for the needle should be 0.15 millimeters to ensure that the nutrients flow into the patient.

For the second problem, we can use the equation P = F/A to determine the force required to produce a pressure of 250 mmHg. Here, P represents pressure, F represents force, and A represents the area of the plunger. We can rearrange this equation to solve for F: F = PA.

In this case, P = 250 mmHg, which is equivalent to 250/13.6 mH2O = 18.38 mH2O. Converting this to Pa (Pascals), we get 18.38*9.8*1000 = 180,024 Pa. The area of the plunger is given as 2 cm^2, which is equivalent to 0.0002 m^2. Plugging these values into the equation, we get F = 180,024*0.0002 = 36.005 Newtons. This is the amount of force that the veterinarian must apply to the end of the plunger to produce a pressure of 250 mmHg in the syringe.

I hope this explanation helps

What is blood pressure?

Blood pressure is the force of blood pushing against the walls of the arteries as the heart pumps blood throughout the body. It is measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and consists of two numbers: systolic pressure (the top number) and diastolic pressure (the bottom number).

How is blood pressure measured?

Blood pressure is typically measured using a sphygmomanometer, or blood pressure cuff, and a stethoscope. The cuff is placed around the upper arm and inflated to temporarily stop blood flow. The pressure is then released slowly while listening for the first and last sounds of blood flow with the stethoscope. These sounds correspond to the systolic and diastolic pressure, respectively.

What is considered normal blood pressure?

According to the American Heart Association, normal blood pressure is less than 120/80 mmHg. Elevated blood pressure is between 120-129/80 mmHg, while high blood pressure (also known as hypertension) is 130/80 mmHg or higher. It is important to monitor blood pressure regularly and consult with a doctor if it consistently falls outside of the normal range.

Why is it important to monitor blood pressure?

High blood pressure can lead to serious health issues such as heart disease, stroke, and kidney disease. It is often referred to as the "silent killer" because it typically has no symptoms, so regular monitoring is crucial for early detection and prevention of potential health problems.

How does needle insertion affect blood pressure?

Needle insertion can cause a temporary increase in blood pressure due to the body's natural response to pain or stress. This increase is typically short-lived and returns to normal once the needle is removed. However, for individuals with existing high blood pressure, needle insertion may cause a more significant and prolonged increase, so it is important to inform healthcare professionals of any blood pressure concerns before a procedure.