How Much Force Must a Professor Exert to Control Cart Speed on a Ramp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter FuzzyDunlop
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cart Ramp
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
FuzzyDunlop
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A professor has to haul a cart down a ramp. The ramp has an angle of about 10 degrees and is about 5 meters long. His initial speed at the top of the ramp is 6 m/s, and the cart has a mass of about 95 kg. How hard does he have to pull on the cart so that at the bottom of the ramp, its speed does not exceed 7 m/s? Neglecting friction, what is the magnitude of the minimum force he has to exert on the cart?

Initial Velocity: 6m/s
Final Velocity: 7m/s
Mass: 95kg
Distance: 5m
Angle: 10

Homework Equations



Vf^2=Vi^2 +2ax
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution



Well first I found the acceleration of the cart.

49=36 +2a(5)
a=1.3

Then I thought that the net force would be
F=mgsin10 + ma

so

F= 95*9.8*sin(10) + 95*1.3 = 285 N

But I am still getting it wrong. Did I make a mistake someplace?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ohh nevermind I got it. I was right, dumb mistake.