How much force pull forward on the rope

In summary, the 10kg block of ice is being pulled by a 2m long, 600g rope with a force of 17N, while the rope itself experiences the same amount of force. The total mass being pulled is 10.6kg.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

A 2m long, 600g rope pulls a 10kg block of ice across a horizontal, frictionless surface. The block accelerates at 1.7m/s^2. a.) How much force pulls forward on the ice? b.) How much force pull forward on the rope.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a by using T=m(Ax). I got 17N. I'm having trouble solving part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
Word to the wise, Newton's third law.

I tried that already, and it didn't work.

You didn't include the force needed to accelerate the rope in addition to the block of ice.

And how do I do that?

Add the mass of the rope to the mass of the ice. Whatever is pulling has to pull both.

That worked. Thank you!

1. What is force and how is it measured?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) using a device called a force meter or scale.

2. How much force is needed to pull an object forward on a rope?

The amount of force required to pull an object forward on a rope depends on the mass of the object and the friction between the object and the surface it is being pulled on. The formula for calculating force is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

3. What factors affect the amount of force needed to pull an object on a rope?

The main factors that affect the amount of force needed to pull an object on a rope include the mass of the object, the friction between the object and the surface it is being pulled on, and the angle of the rope.

4. How does the angle of the rope affect the amount of force needed to pull an object forward?

The angle of the rope affects the amount of force needed to pull an object forward because it changes the direction of the force being applied. The larger the angle, the more force is needed to overcome the vertical component of the force and move the object horizontally.

5. Can the amount of force needed to pull an object on a rope be reduced?

Yes, the amount of force needed to pull an object on a rope can be reduced by decreasing the mass of the object, reducing the friction between the object and the surface, or changing the angle of the rope to a more horizontal direction.