How Much Force to Dent Steel and Crack Asphalt in a Sci-Fi World?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jasocintorino
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Book
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jasocintorino
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I'm looking or some Information - as this is a lesson in learning for me... I'll ask random questions that can hopefully be answered for a book I am starting, this will be my second book.

The girl is a Genetic Experiment whose blood was scientifically altered to include a cheetah's DNA strand - Mixing these together and using them on a young girl, the girl grew cat-like ears, and a tail just like a cat, this includes the speed, reflexes, and other such innate abilities that are inherent to the cheetah family - Though because she has a human body, she has x7 the attributes of a cheetah.

1. Detail; A Solid Military Standard Steel Reinforced Door that can stop explosions from Grenade Launchers - How much force, in theory, would it take to place a 4-inch deep, seven-inch foot-conformed dent into a door of such attributions?

2. A Hybrid, say at the meeting of the front and back door of the car - How much force would it take to place a seven-inch dent in it?

3. Standard 11 inch assfault of the road, to crack this, and make a shield-like imprint from landing harshly upon the pavement - How much force would this take?

I believe these questions are theoretical, and I hope they can be answered -
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They aren't theoretical. You need to know the exact material composition of the doors. And if I remember my freshman material science course correctly, you need to perform a hardness test. This is far from theoretical. I don't know how military doors are made, but even if you can find detailed hardness values for each type of material used, that tells you nothing about the hardness of a composite material unless you also know the type of composite material you're dealing with and the exact values of each material composite. And I imagine that the amount of pressure you need to exert also depends on which part of the door you're applying the force on.

The best answer would be to perform a hardness test yourself on these items. I don't see any easy way out of this.