How Much Impulse Is Needed to Stop a Baseball with Unrealistic Momentum?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter slimyspacewit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
slimyspacewit
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
If a baseball were flying towards an outfielder with a momentum of 900 kg m/s. What impulse would the outfielder need to apply to bring the ball to a stop? AND If the maximum force the dude can exert is 100N for what length of time will he have to exert this force?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds like a homework question.
Please post it in the homework forums and they can help you there.
 
I think there is something wrong with your number. I don't know the mass of a baseball but I would guess about 0.2 to 0.3 kg.
To have a momentum of 900 kg m/s means a velocity of 3000 to 4500 m/s and that does not sound reasonable