How much is better a PhD in Aerospace Engineering than a Masters?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of obtaining a PhD in aerospace engineering over a master's degree. While a PhD may open up certain research and analysis-based positions, it may not provide many advantages in terms of salary or job opportunities compared to a regular engineering degree. However, the idea of obtaining a master's in aerospace engineering and a PhD in applied physics or astrophysics is also mentioned as a potential avenue for research in the aerospace field. It is also noted that some companies, such as Aerospace Corporation, may value a PhD in physics over a PhD in aerospace engineering.
Gjmdp
How better is a PhD in aerospace engineering than a master. Is it worthly?
Of course, I think than with a PhD in aerospace engineering you earn some more, but I know that if I wan't money I shouldn't go into STEM. So, does a PhD in aerospace engineering opens more job opportunities, positions...? Or... maybe it gives you the same benefits as with a master?

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the things a Ph.D is good for is to prove that you understand enough about the state of the art to go right to the edge of what is known and to do something to broaden that knowledge.

In Engineering, what matters more than a formal academic education is experience. A Ph.D in an Engineering field may help slightly when you get enough experience to be a candidate for technical leadership. But in terms of something that will pay off right away in the working world, I don't think it will help much. And by the time you get to a position of leadership like that, experience, self study, and attitude matter much more.

Regardless of these issues, the jobs are out there. You won't starve...

An MS is a professional degree - the intent is to prepare someone for becoming an active, practicing engineer. A PhD is a research degree - the intent is to prepare someone to research new aspects of engineering, and (more recently) to teach aspiring engineers. There is also something called an Engineer's degree, offered at a small number of schools (MIT, Stanford, Naval Postgraduiate School, UCLA...) which is a professional degree post-Masters.

Likes ulianjay
Gjmdp said:
How better is a PhD in aerospace engineering than a master. Is it worthly?
Of course, I think than with a PhD in aerospace engineering you earn some more, but I know that if I wan't money I shouldn't go into STEM. So, does a PhD in aerospace engineering opens more job opportunities, positions...? Or... maybe it gives you the same benefits as with a master?

A PhD opens up a very certain type of position but other than that it doesn't really give you any advantage over a regular engineering degree.

Shaun_W said:
A PhD opens up a very certain type of position but other than that it doesn't really give you any advantage over a regular engineering degree.
Ok, I agree, but what type of position? Research? Engineering management?

Gjmdp said:
Ok, I agree, but what type of position? Research? Engineering management?

Mainly research or heavy analysis based positions.

Shaun_W said:
Mainly research or heavy analysis based positions.
Ok sounds interesting. I love researching and I imagine myself doing it on the future.
But I think that with a M.S in Aerospace Engineering and a PhD in Applied Physics (or maybe Astrophysics) will keep the possibilities for doing research on A.engineering. And also, I would learn more about Physics (not only classical mechanics), and even more Mathematics! So is that a good idea?

Last edited:
Gjmdp said:
Ok sounds interesting. I love researching and I imagine myself doing it on the future.
But I think that with a M.S in Aerospace Engineering and a PhD in Applied Physics (or maybe Astrophysics) will keep the possibilities for doing research on A.engineering. And also, I would learn more about Physics (not only classical mechanics), and even more Mathematics! So is that a good idea?

Not really sure, sorry.

Shaun_W said:
Not really sure, sorry.
Look www.bit.ly/1RkdBP8, Aerospace Corporation pays 218000$/year to a Physics PhD, more than to an Aerospace Engineer PhD (118500$/year)!
It seems some interesting on graduate Physics in the Aerospace field, isn't?

Related to How much is better a PhD in Aerospace Engineering than a Masters?

1. How much more advanced is the knowledge gained in a PhD in Aerospace Engineering compared to a Masters?

The knowledge gained in a PhD program is significantly more advanced and in-depth compared to a Masters program. A PhD program typically involves conducting original research and making significant contributions to the field, while a Masters program focuses more on coursework and practical applications of existing knowledge.

2. Will a PhD in Aerospace Engineering lead to better job opportunities compared to a Masters?

Having a PhD in Aerospace Engineering can open up the possibility for higher-level and more specialized job opportunities, such as research positions in academia or industry. However, a Masters degree can also lead to a variety of job opportunities in the field, including design and development roles.

3. How much longer does it take to complete a PhD in Aerospace Engineering compared to a Masters?

A PhD in Aerospace Engineering typically takes 4-6 years to complete, while a Masters program can usually be completed in 1-2 years. However, the actual time it takes to complete a PhD can vary depending on the individual's research and progress.

4. Is a PhD in Aerospace Engineering worth the additional time and effort compared to a Masters?

The decision to pursue a PhD in Aerospace Engineering should be based on personal interest and career goals. While it does require a significant time commitment, a PhD can lead to more specialized and advanced opportunities in the field. However, a Masters degree can also provide valuable skills and knowledge for a successful career in aerospace engineering.

5. Can a person with a Masters in Aerospace Engineering still conduct research and make contributions to the field?

Yes, a person with a Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering can still conduct research and make contributions to the field. While a PhD may provide more opportunities for in-depth research, a Masters degree can also equip individuals with the skills and knowledge to contribute to the field through practical applications and collaborations with others.