How much money is sufficient for you?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, if you want to live a luxurious life, you will need to make a minimum of $10,000 a month.
Chrono said:
It could also mean that you enjoy physics more than engineering or computer science.

That was the point.

Dagenais said:
The reason the owners have locked out the NHL players is because they do not draw enough people week after week. The Stanley Cup didn't even draw higher ratings than High School sports highlights.

I was so incredibly...there's no word for this emotion... Went to buy tickets for Chistmas time...Oh, sorry, no games. Too bad. So incredibly furious, even now.

Physics news on Phys.org
what website can i check the prices of houses in US?

Saint said:
what website can i check the prices of houses in US?

http://www.realtor.com

i check it weekly for homes in my area :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
franznietzsche said:
That was the point.

I know, but what I was emphasizing with that was that the salary is only a bonus.

US cars are cheap, but houses are damn expensive.
How much to rent a 1500 sq ft house, let's say in Boston.

I won't stop until I own the world!

Saint said:
US cars are cheap, but houses are damn expensive.
How much to rent a 1500 sq ft house, let's say in Boston.

You complain that houses are expensive, yet ask for rental rates in a city with probably one of the highest costs of housing.

What is the point of these random queries ? I can't imagine that you're thinking of moving here, given your opinions of this country.

Last edited:
Hi, I am looking for a city which has moderate living cost. Plan to move there one day (may in 3 years time).
I am totally unfamiliar with US. Therefore i ask...stupid questions?

Saint said:
Hi, I am looking for a city which has moderate living cost. Plan to move there one day (may in 3 years time).
I am totally unfamiliar with US. Therefore i ask...stupid questions?

You're asking a very broad question and expecting very narrow answers, which won't happen. Any city that is on the west or the east coast of the US will be expensive, so you most likely won't want to live there. So you can live somewhere ithe midwest or south. give us a specific city, and we can tell you. Otherwise do what I do:

www.google.com

It sounds like you need to look at a map of the US first before you ask questions about how much it costs to live here.

Last edited:
Saint said:
But why ?

I am totally unfamiliar with US.
Yet you want to move here...this is confusing... :confused:

Anyway, I suggest, as Zantra did, that you do a bit of research yourself. That will get you more answers in less time, with more accuracy.

Which part of US is free of earthquake and tornado/hurricane?

Define 'free'.

Probably the north-central part, but then you have to deal with the freezing cold and meters of snow.

which part of US has no crime at all? No robbery, no prostitution, no murder, as peace as heaven.

Saint said:
which part of US has no crime at all? No robbery, no prostitution, no murder, as peace as heaven.

I live there :biggrin:

No seriously, that place doesn't exist.. you can find a place with low crime, but not NO crime.. I live pretty close to what was deemed "the safest city in america". Crimes still happen though... it's just a fact of life

Saint said:
Which part of US is free of earthquake and tornado/hurricane?

None. Anywhere you go, you'll get one of:

Earthquake
Volcano
Tornado
Hurricane
Frequent Flooding.

Zantra said:
"the safest city in america".

So how's Montana on the Canadian border?

Zantra said:
I live there :biggrin:

Is that why there's no violence and such there? :tongue:

franznietzsche said:
So how's Montana on the Canadian border?

ya I actually live in alaska- town population 1;)

or at least that's the only way you get no violence or crime;)

How is Minnesota?

Saint said:
How is Minnesota?

Depends where. Rural Minnesota (the majority of the state is small towns most less than 60,000) is nice, my dad's familly all live there. However the cities are different. In rura minnesota (like Waseca) the twin cities are the "sin cities." though its also a strong religious area, which of course ptobably exaggerates that view of the cities. I like it there. Cold winters though. Also you still get tornados, though not like in oklahoma or kansas. They're smaller and elss frequent, but late in the season they do happen. One touched down across the street from my grandparents' house last summer.l

In Minnesota, you'll find 1 foot of snow on the ground as late as april.

franznietzsche said:
None. Anywhere you go, you'll get one of:

Earthquake
Volcano
Tornado
Hurricane
Frequent Flooding.

and in some cases all of the above.. or at least most!

Saint, Idaho sounds like your best bet. No extreme weather, sunny all the time, and a lot of wholesomeness.

Evo said:
One of my ex-boyfriends had a Ph.D in Biochemistry and only made $45,000/year. He'll probably never make more than $60,000. This just isn't right.

Evo, that can't be right unless he's just dabbling around at a small teaching college. $60,000 is a typical starting salary for a tenure-track position, actually, it's a bit on the low end; it would be more typical of a 9-month appointment, where you rely on grants to support your summer salary. NIH has been working on making salaries more competitive for PhDs in academic research because we are losing too many people to industry. Universities are starting to catch on that the old days of people working for peanuts out of their love for the science are gone. Currently, NIH stipend levels for post-docs are around $40,000, recognizing that someone with a PhD shouldn't be paid less than the technicians with only an MS, or the secretaries with only a BA. This has only been changing in the past 5 years or so, where there has been a big push to increase PhD salaries to levels that will retain the good scientists in research (it has also made it more competitive to obtain funding since the money doesn't go as far for research when you need to pay higher salaries, but that just means more selectivity for those who do good enough research to deserve those salary levels).

However, when you consider the number of hours professors work, these salaries are still not really competitive with those in industry who work fewer hours. I had looked into some alternative careers, including working as a science advisor in a law office. I looked at the billable hours they required, factored in what a typical ratio of billable to non-billable hours is, and realized I could work fewer hours for twice the salary I'd be earning in academic research. It sounded like a nice job except that I'm not good at sitting at a desk doing paperwork all day... :zzz:

Kerrie said:
Saint, Idaho sounds like your best bet. No extreme weather, sunny all the time, and a lot of wholesomeness.

boooooring

why not just move to kansas while you're at it.

Live a little, spend a little... move to NY or LA and really experience good living :smile:

Kerrie said:

Err... Idaho may not be the best choice to send someone from Malaysia...

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/orgs/american/adl/paranoia-as-patriotism/aryan-nations.html

Headquartered near Hayden Lake, Idaho, Aryan Nations is a paramilitary hate group founded in the mid-1970s by Rev. Richard Girnt Butler, now 77 years old. It was formed around Butler's Church of Jesus Christ Christian, one of the several hundred churches affiliated with "Identity," a pseudo-theological hate movement. Identity doctrine maintains that Anglo-Saxons, not Jews, are the Biblical "chosen people," that non-whites are "mud people" on the level of animals,* and that Jews are "children of Satan."

Aryan Nations militantly advocates anti-Semitism and the establishment of a white racist state.

*bold inserted by me.

boise idaho was what I was referring to. boise is quite a nice calm town that is growing and does not have any extreme natural disaster tendencies. i was quite impressed with it myself, and from what i heard, boise embraces other races quite well now. the catch is they may want you to join a mormon church :)

Tsunami said:
Err... Idaho may not be the best choice to send someone from Malaysia...

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/orgs/american/adl/paranoia-as-patriotism/aryan-nations.html

*bold inserted by me.

God kerrie.. just send the guy to his death, why dontcha :wink:

LA is culturally diverse and WARM.. there are RARELY earthquakes, and all the hype about falling into the ocean, mudslides, etc is just that: hype. And most importantly, it's very culturally diverse. Lots of Malays...I highly recommend!

Kerrie said:
boise idaho was what I was referring to. boise is quite a nice calm town that is growing and does not have any extreme natural disaster tendencies. i was quite impressed with it myself, and from what i heard, boise embraces other races quite well now. the catch is they may want you to join a mormon church :)

I've heard there's more Mormons in Boise than in Salt Lake City ! Can that be true ?

Kerrie said:

I've never been to Boise but I spent a week in Coeur d'Alene learning a new scanner and the people I met who lived there seemed fairly prejudiced against anyone other than whites. (I didn't fit in too well... :rolleyes:)

I wasn't aware there were a lot of Mormons in Boise. It's not very close to Utah... does Mormonism spread that far out of Utah? Well... now that I think about it, I guess it sure could, couldn't it! It's not all that far... :redface: :smile:

Gokul43201 said:
I've heard there's more Mormons in Boise than in Salt Lake City ! Can that be true ?

(you posted this while was I writing my post to kerrie! :biggrin:)

WOW! No joke?? I wonder...hmmm. Interesting.

I have to agree with what Zantra said about LA. The only problem with LA (and one of the main reasons I wanted to leave) was there were just too many people living on top of each other and being rather nasty to each other most of the time. ...blowing each other away on the freeways... it was getting uglier all the time...

HEY! (off topic) Our creek is running! I gardened while listening to it today! I love Oregon. :approve:

actually i like florida, it is of tropical climate, but i fear hurricane and flood.

which city has 99% christians and most churches?

Saint said:

Hayden Lake, Idaho :biggrin:

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Hayden Lake, Idaho :biggrin:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Rome? (Italy - not New York) :biggrin: