How much money is sufficient for you?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, if you want to live a luxurious life, you will need to make a minimum of $10,000 a month.
SergejVictorov, Switzerland is, like, my dream country. :biggrin: How's life over there?

Physics news on Phys.org
franznietzsche said:
Thats $120,000 a year. If that barely cuts it in the midwest, you have some spending priority issues, or a massive amount of personal debt to pay off. Sending your kid to switzerland? That is not barely cutting it.

i have to agree that $120K is a nice salary. my husband and i live on half that.

Kerrie said:
i have to agree that $120K is a nice salary. my husband and i live on half that.
But you're half my age. :wink:

It's not what it's cracked up to be. There are also obligations with my job to contribute to charity. We also sponsor needy families in the area.

I voluntarily contribute to animal rescue.

I am required to "chip in" to events at work. I'm management and we have to provide for the non-management people that work for us. I just got an e-mail yesterday reminding me I need to send in my money for the Thanksgiving party we pay for, for the occupational (non-management) people. I'm talking about a LARGE number of people, this is a large office.

I have to buy gifts all of the time for the people that work under me as a "thank you".

I have clients that I have to take out to eat and buy gifts for. The company no longer pays for this, but my clients make me money and expect it.

It seems like every time I turn around someone has their hand out for money.

If you've ever seen "The Money Pit" with Tom Hanks, that's my house. :frown: I pay more per month in repairs than my mortgage payment. I'm slowly and painfully replacing every square inch of this HELL HOLE.

Kerrie said:
i think her daughter is under age 18 which in America is still considered a child, which by law Evo is required to support her as she sees fit :smile: . if she was say 21 and not going to school, then it might be more usual for her daughter to compensate her for food and utilities. i do admire Evo's devotion to supporting her daughter and ensuring she has it good. i think as long as her daughter understands and appreciates what she has (because i do believe many youths her age do not have it this well) she won't take it for granted and expect this lifestyle to be a standard.

i was raised to eat at home as much as possible too. for example, last night i spent $18.00 on food for this weekend on my husband and i (kids are with their dad this weekend) at Trader Joe's (you got to check them out!). the meals i bought included Ahi Tuna steak, cous cous, salad, new potatoes, chicken tenders, eggs (breakfast), orange juice and veggie chips. we eat very healthy with lots of proteins, veggies and "good" carbs. the time it takes to make this stuff is minimal considering how much money we are saving.

Trader joes isn't meant to be a full service grocery store (though some use it that way) it's a speciality store that carries mostly imported food, and is thusly a little more expensive than the typical grocery store. That said I like the place- I go there occasionally to pick up some things..

Oh and I spend about $200/month on groceries. I eat really well. Fish, steak, regular food..

Evo said:
But you're half my age. :wink:

evo, i will be 32 next month, are you actually 64??

Kerrie said:
evo, i will be 32 next month, are you actually 64??
You look 18! :biggrin:

Kerrie said:

I had better be able to live on just $60k, because i doubt i will be making more than that, being a physics major who plans on doing doctoral work in theoretical astrophysics, so if I'm making more then $60k, then the government decided they really wanted some astrophysicists to build their next big bomb. Although T division at Los Alamos would be really frickin cool.

franznietzsche said:
I had better be able to live on just $60k, because i doubt i will be making more than that, being a physics major who plans on doing doctoral work in theoretical astrophysics, so if I'm making more then $60k, then the government decided they really wanted some astrophysicists to build their next big bomb. Although T division at Los Alamos would be really frickin cool.

um, my husband and i earn that jointly, not each.

You look 18!

yes, i always am proud to show off my ID when i buy alcohol :rofl:

Kerrie said:
um, my husband and i earn that jointly, not each.

Well i figure post doc position from what i have heard are usually $20k per year, more in high cost of living areas though I'm sure. I imagine for a proffesorship without tenure/ research post $35k-$45k depending on the institution, with tenure 45k-60k depending on the institution. ANd actually could anyone here give more accurate figures? I would actually be interested in knowing.

My comment about having to live on that much was partly sardonic, because i know full well that i don't need that much to live just me. With a family though, then i obviously have to question the viability of a post doc salary. I want enough for my wife to not have to work unless she wants to, not for money, but because its what she wants to do.

franznietzsche said:
Well i figure post doc position from what i have heard are usually $20k per year, more in high cost of living areas though I'm sure. I imagine for a proffesorship without tenure/ research post $35k-$45k depending on the institution, with tenure 45k-60k depending on the institution. ANd actually could anyone here give more accurate figures? I would actually be interested in knowing.

My comment about having to live on that much was partly sardonic, because i know full well that i don't need that much to live just me. With a family though, then i obviously have to question the viability of a post doc salary. I want enough for my wife to not have to work unless she wants to, not for money, but because its what she wants to do.

it all depends on the area you live in too...where i live, the cost of living is a little high. 60K affords us a decent frugal life plus i help support my two kids. i don't own a home (yet), but certainly don't have to live in the hood either. gas here is extremely high compared to the rest of the country also. considering $10/hr = $21K a year, you may realize that 60K isn't that much for two people to live on and helping support two young kids.

Kerrie said:
it all depends on the area you live in too...where i live, the cost of living is a little high. 60K affords us a decent frugal life plus i help support my two kids. i don't own a home (yet), but certainly don't have to live in the hood either. gas here is extremely high compared to the rest of the country also. considering $10/hr = $21K a year, you may realize that 60K isn't that much for two people to live on and helping support two young kids.

Where I live the average household income is $80K.. I am not rich- trust me :cry:

devious_ said:
SergejVictorov, Switzerland is, like, my dream country. :biggrin: How's life over there?

Well, I must say I can't complain about life over here. For young people, finding a good job without degree can be difficult. Also, living costs are said to be very high. You can have a hard time finding a nice apartment with 4 rooms for less than 1200$ a month. Decent restaurants are also expensive so eating out is not usual, at least for me. A mansion near a lake can be worth several million $.

I must say though that the educational system and the health system are very good. The weather in my area is good too. In summer, we sometimes have up to 38°C (100°F). In winter, it's usually cold, but usually not below -10°C (14°F). Up in the mountains, everything is different and in certain areas it can be really cold.

You don't have to own a car in Switzerland unless you live in a very remote area (which is very unlikely because it's a tiny country) or you are lazy. Public transportation is very good and gets you almost everywhere. Bicycles are very common, too. Unfortunately, few people realize that a car is a lot slower than the train. The situation on the roads is a big issue here.

I've attached a picture that shows the view from my room. The view is pretty good. Unfortunately, new houses (especially condominium blocks) are being built on every small spot that is still untilled so finding a house with a good view is slowly becoming a very difficult thing.

Attachments

• viewth1.jpg
    viewth1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 291
Here in Spain, a 2500 € is a good month salary to live in peace, without worries I think. (1 € = 1.25 $USD).

For real, ten billion dollars is what i'd be satisfied with. It seems that the people who have that much money now like to destroy the enviornment, disrupt democratic process, etc. I want to make that much because i'd do the opposite with it...
to be 'satisfied' with less would be unfair to my true potential

so before you just delete out my post, ask me why :yuck:

franznietzsche said:

Post doc positions pay anywhere from 25K (small university group) to 50K (National Lab/Industry PostDoc). A typical number, however, is closer to 30K.

Median Physics salaries in a typical university are about (2003/04):

Assistant Prof : 60K
Associate Prof : 65K
Tenured Prof : 85K

I know some tenured Professors that make easily over 100K - they're the big shots.

I read this recently, perhaps off the AIP website (aip.org), you could check that out - they may have more specific data than I'm giving you.

Last edited:
Zantra said:
Where I live the average household income is $80K.. I am not rich- trust me :cry:

southern cal is expensive i am sure.

franznietzsche said:
My little sister's ex boyfriend is an unemployed astrophysicist. He delivers pizza for a living. Both of his parents are professors at a large University. So their combined incomes make them very comfortable. It's really a shame though that there is not more money in the sciences.

One of my ex-boyfriends had a Ph.D in Biochemistry and only made $45,000/year. He'll probably never make more than $60,000. This just isn't right.

Evo said:
My little sister's ex boyfriend is an unemployed astrophysicist. He delivers pizza for a living. Both of his parents are professors at a large University. So their combined incomes make them very comfortable. It's really a shame though that there is not more money in the sciences.

One of my ex-boyfriends had a Ph.D in Biochemistry and only made $45,000/year. He'll probably never make more than $60,000. This just isn't right.

How does that work out?

I actually was speaking to my science teacher and he said most times people that get their masters/Ph.D in science fields or professors make maybe a little more than they do.

SergejVictorov said:
Well, I must say I can't complain about life over here.

Sergej, how are foreigners treated in Switzerland? Especially hairy, Mediterranean ones like me.

Evo said:
One of my ex-boyfriends had a Ph.D in Biochemistry and only made $45,000/year. He'll probably never make more than $60,000.

On what basis do you make this guess ?

The median salary for a tenured Biochemistry Prof is nearly 100K.

Hi All,
are you able to save 20% of your gross income monthly after all expenses?

Very few people can manage to save 20% of their gross income.

- Warren

Gokul43201 said:
On what basis do you make this guess ?

The median salary for a tenured Biochemistry Prof is nearly 100K.
He prefers to remain in research. He was in AIDS research when we dated.

Last edited:
Evo said:

Yeah, those of us who go seeking PhDs rarely do it for the money. We do it because we like the field. I'm sure this will come as a shock to my mom when she one day discovers that college will never make me wealthy. Too bad.

Yeah, tell me about it. The clothes my parents paid for, they got to pick out. The clothes I paid for, I got to pick out. A $1.25 allowance a week so we could have a drink with the lunches we packed at home? Get real, my mom only bought braunshweigger (or however it's spelled - I try to block it from my memory). Geez, where'd these people come from? You'd think my parents grew up in the depression or during World War II or ... oh, yeah, I guess that explains it.

Anyway, suffice it to say, the kids in my family got part time jobs pretty early.

Sounds tough. A lot of American teenagers are into getting jobs at age 16, having allowances and having to pay their parents back for some larger expenses.

A lot of Chinese kids are spoiled. I've talked to quite a few kids that moved from Hong Kong. There parents will just buy them a new Porsche Boxster or BMW just like that. If you think that's not possible, head to Richmond, British Columbia. It's a city full of people from Hong Kong, and you'll definitely spot a 16-20 year old driving in a Lexus, BMW, Benz etc. I doubt Chinese kids spend as much money on clothing or food as American kids do though. They are rarely ever pressured into getting jobs early. Of course, I'm talking about Chinese kids in Canada, the only ones I've talked to.

Besides, childhood is so short. Do people really have to burden their children with allowances, force them mow the lawn for $5 so they can save for that next video game or making them pay for half the cost of the CD player they want?

They'll have more than enough time to worry about money in adulthood. Let them enjoy their childhood, free from financial burden. They'll probably be a lot happier.

Where the heck do you people eat??

At home, side-walk cafes, sandwich/soup shops. I rarely ever eat McDonalds /BK/Wendy's anymore. Can't stand that crap.

Aren't you worried that letting your daughter consume so much will make her prone to putting herself in debt when living on her own?

Debt or bad credit doesn't seem to be anything unfamiliar for Americans. Like Jay Leno said, two favorite hobbies of Americans are getting fat and getting into debt.

The more you do something, the more prone you become to HAVE to do it.

They'll have to stop eventually when their credit gets ruined or they have to declare bankruptcy.

$45,000 for researching against AIDs.

While, over in the NHL, guys get millions for playing a game. Yet, they still complain, demand more money, and strike.

That just isn't right.

Last edited:
Dagenais said:
There parents will just buy them a new Porsche Boxster or BMW just like that. If you think that's not possible, head to Richmond, British Columbia. It's a city full of people from Hong Kong, and you'll definitely spot a 16-20 year old driving in a Lexus, BMW, Benz etc.
Yep, one of my daughter's friends got a new Lexus for his 16th birthday. Another kid got a new BMW. She'll have to make do with her Toyota. :devil:

While, over in the NHL, guys get millions for playing a game..
I know, it burns me up.

Dagenais said:

While, over in the NHL, guys get millions for playing a game. Yet, they still complain, demand more money, and strike.

That just isn't right.
The NHL guys bring joy to hundreds of thousands of people week after week...but the AIDS researcher may never end up with anything useful :frown:

Okay...that was in jest, so don't eat me up. :uhh:

(That's capitalism - learn to live with it ! :devil: )

franznietzsche said:
Yeah, those of us who go seeking PhDs rarely do it for the money. We do it because we like the field.
To be able to do something you want do do, are passionate about, enjoy, what greater reward is there than that?

I would rather have that than tons of money.

Evo said:
To be able to do something you want do do, are passionate about, enjoy, what greater reward is there than that?

A little money on the side would be useful...for those once-in-a-blue-moon vacations we'd like to take.

The only use I have for extra money is traveling (and books) - don't care about fancy cars, mansions with swimming pools or going on luxury cruises.

cragwolf said:
Sergej, how are foreigners treated in Switzerland? Especially hairy, Mediterranean ones like me.

Foreigners are usually treated good. There are some folks who are prejudiced when it comes to foreigners but I believe they are the minority. Italian, Portuguese and Spanish people have established a good presence in Switzerland. After all, 21.6% of the Swiss inhabitants are foreigners. I've always used to see this as a positive thing, not a burden.

Evo said:

That's why I'm a physics major, not an engineering or computer science major.

how about houses in Florida, are they expensive?

franznietzsche said:
That's why I'm a physics major, not an engineering or computer science major.

It could also mean that you enjoy physics more than engineering or computer science.

Saint said:
how about houses in Florida, are they expensive?
Why do you keep asking these kinds of questions? They don't have any answers. Houses vary enormously by location and by quality.

- Warren

The NHL guys bring joy to hundreds of thousands of people week after week...but the AIDS researcher may never end up with anything useful

The reason the owners have locked out the NHL players is because they do not draw enough people week after week. The Stanley Cup didn't even draw higher ratings than High School sports highlights.