How much time it takes to walk a certain distance?

• B
  • Thread starter george95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the speed at which a pedestrian walks and how it is affected by different factors such as slope angle, terrain, and energy expenditure. Various sources quote the average speed of a pedestrian to be 1.4 meters/second, but this may vary depending on the terrain. The formula V(α) = 1.4 m/s / (1+0.3 tan α) is suggested as a way to calculate the speed on a sloped terrain, with a 20 degree slope resulting in a 10% decrease in speed. Naismith's rule is also mentioned as a useful rule of thumb for estimating distance and climb.
george95
Hello,
I have one issue: I would like to know how much time will it take a pedestrian to walk certain distance (based on its movement speed), but taken into account the slope that his walking path takes?

I checked a number of sources and most of them quote the speed of an adult, healthy, pedestrian (I assume an average of male and female values) to be:
1.4 meters/second. Which is 84 meters/minute or around 275 feet/minute.

However, can it be that this 1.4m/s is actually the value in case the pedestrian is walking on a relatively flat terrain? What happens he is walking on a sloped terrain, of a certain angle!
For example, a pedestrian is walking on a terrain which has a constant slope angle of 20 degrees. How does those 20 degrees reduce the 1.4 meters/second walking speed?

I would be grateful for any kind of reply.
Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the person is walking uphill they will have to expend additional energy (because of working against gravity).
So assuming they don't deliberately speed up to compensate, but keep walking at a comfortable rate,, that rate will be slower than on flat ground.
Conversely they need less energy to travel downhill, so they will move faster without any additional effort, in that case gravity is assisting them.

Likes george95
Thank you for the quick reply rootone!
rootone said:
So assuming they don't deliberately speed up to compensate, but keep walking at a comfortable rate,, that rate will be slower than on flat ground.
Yes, but how much slower in relation to the angle of the slope?

That will probably be very hard data to come by. This isn't a question that can be answered with a convenient formula, it has to be established empirically.

Likes george95
Thank you for the reply rumborak.
I would accept empirically derived formulas as well!

What you *might* be able to do, with a bit of handwaving, is to say "on flat ground a person burns so many calories, i.e. Joules per distance covered. Now, let's assume on a slope this person tries to keep their heart rate the same as on flat ground, but part of that energy expenditure now goes to lifting the body to a higher altitude, I.e. increasing the potential energy". If you work that backwards, you might get a value for the speed that keeps the overall energy expenditure the same.

FYI, because it's horrendous weather in Boston and I'm bored, after a bit of calculations I got to the formula:

$$V(α) = \frac {1.4 m/s} {1+0.3 \tan {α}}$$

User at your own peril.

EDIT: So, at your asked 20 degrees, the speed would be 10% slower. Honestly, doesn't sound right, but I think that's because at 20 degrees already a lot of other factors come into play like your gait changing etc. Humans are evolutionarily optimized to burn little energy on flat ground. When it's no longer flat, less efficient muscle come into play that burn more energy.

Last edited:
Likes george95
Yes, the exact figure will be highly dependent on the individual's body frame, their metabolism, overall fitness, whether they have eaten recently, and a whole load more.
While you could come up with a formula for an idealized average person, that person most likely does not exist in reality,
so whatever theoretical formula you apply, in practice you'll have very wide error margins if testing it with actual people.

Likes george95
First, 20 degrees is a huge angle! This is about what it looks like:

MNemeth_20160725_DSCF0308.jpg

Second, if you ever are walking with a group of friends and hit a hill, you will immediately notice that you start to disperse until an effort is made to get back together. That alone says there is no universal formula applicable to all people. If there were, you would stay together.

Likes rootone and george95
george95 said:
Hello,
I have one issue: I would like to know how much time will it take a pedestrian to walk certain distance (based on its movement speed), but taken into account the slope that his walking path takes?

I checked a number of sources and most of them quote the speed of an adult, healthy, pedestrian (I assume an average of male and female values) to be:
1.4 meters/second. Which is 84 meters/minute or around 275 feet/minute.

However, can it be that this 1.4m/s is actually the value in case the pedestrian is walking on a relatively flat terrain? What happens he is walking on a sloped terrain, of a certain angle!
For example, a pedestrian is walking on a terrain which has a constant slope angle of 20 degrees. How does those 20 degrees reduce the 1.4 meters/second walking speed?

I would be grateful for any kind of reply.
Thank you in advance!

What you need is Naismith's rule:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith's_rule

Likes sophiecentaur, rootone, george95 and 2 others
Thank you for all the replies!

rumborak said:
FYI, because it's horrendous weather in Boston and I'm bored, after a bit of calculations I got to the formula:

User at your own peril.

EDIT: So, at your asked 20 degrees, the speed would be 10% slower. Honestly, doesn't sound right, but I think that's because at 20 degrees already a lot of other factors come into play like your gait changing etc. Humans are evolutionarily optimized to burn little energy on flat ground. When it's no longer flat, less efficient muscle come into play that burn more energy.

Thank you Rumborak! What is the source of your formula?

PeroK said:
What you need is Naismith's rule:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith's_rule
That is, 7.92 units of distance are equivalent to 1 unit of climb.
Rules of thumb like this are often handy.
While there is no theory to explain it, it's a statistic that satisfies most observations.

Likes george95
Thank you once again for the useful replies PeroK and rootone.

rumborak said:

User at your own peril.

@rumborak what is the source of your formula? Where does it come from?

That formula really just comes from the assumptions I made in the preceding post to that. I think as is obvious, it's pretty off since it totally disagrees with Naismith's rule. It was really little more than a algebra exercise.

Likes george95
Thank you once again for the help Rumborak.

1. How does walking speed affect the time it takes to cover a certain distance?

The faster you walk, the less time it will take to cover a certain distance. On average, a person walking at a moderate pace of 3 miles per hour can cover 1 mile in approximately 20 minutes.

2. Does the terrain or surface affect the time it takes to walk a certain distance?

Yes, the terrain and surface can greatly impact the time it takes to walk a certain distance. Walking on a flat, smooth surface will be faster than walking on a hilly or uneven surface. Also, walking on a soft surface such as sand or grass may slow down your pace.

3. Is there a standard calculation for estimating walking time based on distance?

There is no standard calculation as walking speed can vary greatly among individuals. However, a general rule of thumb is to estimate 20 minutes for every mile walked at a moderate pace.

4. Can the time it takes to walk a certain distance vary for different people?

Yes, the time it takes to walk a certain distance can vary among individuals depending on factors such as age, fitness level, and physical abilities. A person who is in better shape or has longer legs may cover the same distance in less time compared to someone who is less fit or has shorter legs.

5. Are there any tips for increasing walking speed and reducing the time it takes to cover a certain distance?

To increase walking speed, focus on taking longer strides and maintaining a consistent pace. Additionally, incorporating strength and endurance exercises into your routine can help improve overall walking speed and efficiency.