How much to charge for physics/math tutoring?

In summary, the conversation is about tutoring rates and how much to charge. The speaker has a B.S. in Physics/Math and is currently getting a M.S. in Secondary Ed to become a teacher. They discuss factors that may affect the rate, such as region, subject area, and services provided. The speaker shares their own experience and mentions charging $35/hr, but has increased their rate to $40-50/hr after a few years. They also mention offering additional services and receiving clients through word of mouth. The conversation ends with a suggestion to advertise on Craigslist and to use contacts from high school or a local "tutor finder" website.
superdave
I've got a few requests for tutoring, trying to figure out how much to charge. I have my B.S. in Physics/Math and I am currently getting a M.S. in Secondary Ed to become a teacher.

Physics news on Phys.org
superdave said:
I've got a few requests for tutoring, trying to figure out how much to charge. I have my B.S. in Physics/Math and I am currently getting a M.S. in Secondary Ed to become a teacher.

Hey superdave.

Are you teaching one-to-one or in groups? How much prep do you need (or estimate) you need to do? Do you need to travel or do they come to you?

For example if you do it in say a group of 5, you could offer a discount that would make it appealing for them, and you do well also!

My second year matrix algebra tutor charges $30 Canadian and I'll just list off what she responded with when I emailed her asking for her qualifications.

has a bsc in math and msc in math
is a 6 year phd student
has TA'd almost every first year math course
has been a sessional prof for a few first and second year math courses

That being said, I feel like I got a very good rate. Anyways, if I was going to tutor, I would offer free tutoring for about 10 or so sessions so you can gauge yourself how effective you are at teaching students.

When I was tutoring, I would charge $20/hour for one on one tutoring. This was 10 years ago. And even then, I had parents of high school students who insisted on paying me more than that.

In my opinion it is a function of
  • region (general cost of living - tutoring in NYC will be different than Kansas City)
  • clients (for high school students - your wealthier families tend to look for private tutors more often, college students are poor in general)
  • subject area (physics seemed to have a larger demand and pay scale for tutoring, don't know why)
  • how you are expected to tutor (are you actually teaching - that is are you going through an independent lesson, are you providing some practice problems separate from the class, or are you just helping them work through assignments?)
  • how much you feel your time is worth

I started tutoring the year after i graduated from high school and was charging $35/hr. After a few years of doing it, i am now charging from $40 to $50 per hour, depending on how far i need to travel. I have not had to advertise myself at all; all of my students have found me through word of mouth.

I think the rate that you charge does depend on the service you will be providing. I probably charge a little more than the average rate in my local area, but i offer an email or phone service that students can use to contact me if they need quick help with something before our next scheduled session. I also provide practice exams and extra reading material if requested.

danago said:
I started tutoring the year after i graduated from high school and was charging $35/hr. After a few years of doing it, i am now charging from $40 to $50 per hour, depending on how far i need to travel. I have not had to advertise myself at all; all of my students have found me through word of mouth.

I think the rate that you charge does depend on the service you will be providing. I probably charge a little more than the average rate in my local area, but i offer an email or phone service that students can use to contact me if they need quick help with something before our next scheduled session. I also provide practice exams and extra reading material if requested.

Woah 0__o. How did you set yourself up for that?

Nano-Passion said:
Woah 0__o. How did you set yourself up for that?

Well based on rates that other people in similar positions were charging, i was going to start at $25/hr. The first person i started tutoring was a friend of mine from high school in the year below me, and her dad had been paying $35/hr to a previous tutor, so he insisted that he pay me the same, so I just ended up using this as my base rate in the first year.

danago said:
Well based on rates that other people in similar positions were charging, i was going to start at $25/hr. The first person i started tutoring was a friend of mine from high school in the year below me, and her dad had been paying $35/hr to a previous tutor, so he insisted that he pay me the same, so I just ended up using this as my base rate in the first year.

I know friends that would like to be tutored but I would never charge them. I should try to develop a base of people to tutor. Maybe I'll look at advertising in Craigslist or something.

Nano-Passion said:
I know friends that would like to be tutored but I would never charge them. I should try to develop a base of people to tutor. Maybe I'll look at advertising in Craigslist or something.

Well, i should probably have said acquaintance rather than friend. She was somebody i knew from school, but not really a close friend. Incidentally, she is a good friend of mine now! Normally when close friends do ask me for help, i do it free of charge.

I don't know how long ago you graduated from high school, but if it was fairly recent you could maybe give your teachers you contact details to pass onto their students who are looking for a tutor? You could also list your name on a local "tutor finder" website.

Once you finish your MEd and start teaching, you can at least charge $40/hr. If you are in a major city, you can charge more. In the DC area, middle and high school math and science tutors who are LICENSED teachers with experience charge $60-80/hr. Agencies in this area are charging parents $90-110/hr to supply top tutors and licensed teachers. I'm not sure where you are located, but in this area expectations of students are high, and skilled tutors are limited.

In my experience prices are much lower than what others have here. Private tutors with BS degrees routinely charge between $10-20 per hour in places I have worked. Skilled tutors are a dime a dozen IMO.

I also get 35 an hour just starting out. I tutor 2 kids for an hour a week so it helps. I just need to figure out how to get more client's

This is a very old thread revived...

Likes Niflheim and BigWisdoms
Nano-Passion said:
Not a bad place at all to advertise - just you need to understand that the "lessons" section is flooded with tutoring service advertisements.

1. How much should I charge for physics/math tutoring per hour?

The answer to this question depends on several factors, such as your level of expertise, the location of the tutoring sessions, and the demand for your services. Generally, rates for physics/math tutoring can range from $30 to $100 per hour. It is important to research the market and set a competitive rate that reflects your qualifications and experience.

2. Is it better to charge per hour or per session for physics/math tutoring?

Charging per hour or per session depends on your personal preference and the needs of your students. Some tutors prefer to charge per session, which can be beneficial for students who need longer sessions. Others prefer to charge per hour, which allows for more flexibility in scheduling. It is important to communicate your pricing structure clearly to your students before beginning any tutoring sessions.

3. What is the average rate for physics/math tutoring?

The average rate for physics/math tutoring varies depending on several factors, such as location, level of expertise, and demand. In general, the average rate for physics/math tutoring can range from $40 to $60 per hour. However, rates can also be higher or lower depending on the individual tutor's qualifications and the specific needs of the student.

4. Do I need to consider travel costs when setting my tutoring rates?

Yes, it is important to consider travel costs when setting your tutoring rates. If you will be traveling to your students' homes or meeting them at a different location, it is reasonable to include travel costs in your rates. You can either charge a flat fee for travel or include it in your hourly rate. It is important to factor in these costs to ensure that you are being adequately compensated for your time and expenses.

5. Can I negotiate my tutoring rates?

Yes, you can negotiate your tutoring rates with your students. However, it is important to establish clear boundaries and communicate your rates and policies upfront. You can offer discounts for multiple sessions or for students who refer others to your tutoring services. It is important to be flexible and open to negotiation, but also to ensure that you are being compensated fairly for your time and expertise.