How Much Torque Is Required to Stop the Rotating Rod System in 8.53 Seconds?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Prophet029
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotation Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
Prophet029
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 1.02 kg ball and a 2.06 kg ball are connected by a 0.95 m long rigid, massless rod. The rod is rotating clockwise about its center of mass at 38 rpm. What torque will bring the balls to a halt in 8.53 s? (Give an absolute value of torque.)


Homework Equations



torque = F * r sin theta
(rpm/60)*2pi= angular velocity (int)
anglv fin = anglv int + anglaccel * delta t
accel = anglaccel * r
F=ma


The Attempt at a Solution



First I found the angular velocity initial of the system using the (38rpm/60)*2pi
then I found angular acceleration need to reach angular velocity final = 0 in 8.53s by
0 = (38rpm/60)*2pi + angular accel * 8.53s
I solved for accel by multiplying the answer found for angular accel by radius which is 0.95/2m.
Then i found the torques (F=ma so mass of ball 1 and 2 * accel * radius) and added them together since, I assumed that both forces were in the same direction. I thought that these torques added together would give me my answer. But I'm getting it wrong. Can anyone help? did I overlook some element to this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well when you find the angular deceleration,[itex]\alpha[/itex]. I believe you can just use [itex]\tau = I \alpha[/itex], where I is the moment of inertia.
 
rock.freak667 said:
Well when you find the angular deceleration,[itex]\alpha[/itex]. I believe you can just use [itex]\tau = I \alpha[/itex], where I is the moment of inertia.

How would i solve for the moment of inertia? Is it I=1/12*M*L^2 for a rod with axis at center? what would the M be?
 
Prophet029 said:
How would i solve for the moment of inertia? Is it 1/12*M*L^2 for a rod with axis at center? what would the M be?

I guess since they said the mass is negligible you can just ignore it and just use I=mr2 for the two masses