How Much Water is Needed to Increase Pipeline Pressure for a Hydro Test?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
G Neilson
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I am trying to figure if there is a calculation for working out how much water I would have to pump into a system to increase the pressure.

For example, I have a pipeline which is 2" and 6.5 km long. I worked the volume out using πr² × height so π×0.0254m²×6500m which is 13.17m³.

How do I now determine how much more water I require to increase the pressure to 10 barg?

I know the material of the pipeline matters but I am just looking for a ballpark not exact accuracy. I also know that temperature matters but for this case let's say the temperature remains constant again this is because I require a ballpark figure.

It is for a hydro test (pressure test) of the pipe. we are taking it up to 150% of its design pressure which is 414 barg so 621barg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are tables giving the density of water at different pressures. The difference between the two pressures allows to figure out how much water has to be added at constant volume. If your pipeline expands under pressure, this could be the dominant effect, then you have to know how much it expands.
 
mfb said:
There are tables giving the density of water at different pressures. The difference between the two pressures allows to figure out how much water has to be added at constant volume. If your pipeline expands under pressure, this could be the dominant effect, then you have to know how much it expands.

Do you know where can i Find these tables?